Rooted and took out too many apps. Cannot use phone

Last Updated:

1. screamin400

screamin400 Member This Topic's Starter

I just rooted my phone and got carried away deleting apps. I am not the quickest when it comes to computers so I started deleting everything in red. Yes I really did do that. Now I cannot download. I cannot use my dialer. I think I deleted up to about C before I said uhoh I may be in trouble here. I rooted because I hate the phone. I liked my iphone better as it was quicker and had better email. Those are my main two things. Figured if I rooted I could get rid of the lag and set up a better email. Well here I am. I need help or this thing will be taking a jump out my truck window soon. Help me like this phone please.

Advertisement
  2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

to get all of that back you will need to flash back to stock with odin3.
    method 2 is easiest
    [STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY - xda-developers

for the email youll need to download a different app from the market, i personally use k9 mail but there are others.

now the iphone will feel quicker, its very plain, it has pretty much one thing running at all times. its not updating widgets and stuff like that all the time, its simplicity makes it feel quick. now my phone is fast as im running cognition 2.2 with a lagfix built in, now there are people on here that will say lagfixes mess up your phone in the long run but im not worried about that as there are always ways to fix it

3. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

Yup, use that stock ODIN flasher, it works pretty good. There is unconfirmed rumor that it doesnt "fully restore" the phone and wont allow OTA updates or whatever.

Last time I flashed to stock I tested that and was able to pull the JH7 update OTA. Even if for some reason that happened and someone couldnt get OTAs you can always update manually.

Just a word of advice however, always have a good idea of what you are doing and how before you do it. Always have backups made and the drivers on your PC to recover it in case you need to.

Oh, and dont delete system apps ;) Everything on this phone is an app, the phone, the dialer, contacts, etc, delete those and it doesnt work XD.

4. screamin400

Thanks a bunch for the info. I tried it quite a few times but get stuck at file analysis. I cannot get past it. My phone says it is on system recovery? Any ideas?

5. russ9127

russ9127 Active Member

Have odin open, with your phone turned off hold the two volume keys while plugging it into the usb and it should go into download mode (big green android with a shovel). Odin should recognize your phone and it should work!

6. screamin400

Looks like that may be working. I was holding the on button along with both volume buttons. I have my fingers crossed. Thanks for the help.

7. screamin400

Yay it worked. You guys are great help. Now I am going to go root it again and see if I can get it to blow up or something. Stand by.

8. screamin400

Well I am rooted again. Tried restoring some apps I save earlier and it says I cannot restore them as they are not from the android market?

9. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

using titanium backup? it may think youre trying to sideload or something im not really sure. you could probably download the apps from the market and restore the data or you could enable sideloading if you know much about android sdk

10. screamin400

I used titanium but I am so happy I don't care if I have to do them myself. Phone seems ok at this point. All I really wanted to do was get rid of some apps and speed it up a bit. If I was a computer guy it may not have been a big deal but turned into a big deal for me. What should I do to it now that it is rooted? Looks like froyo is coming on the 20th?

11. screamin400

Downloaded cognition. So far so good. Maybe the phone is better than I gave it credit? I think the more you know the better you will like this phone.

12. Thassodar

Thassodar Well-Known Member

I think that's a very true statement. It's not for the average user, it's better as you tweak it. Unlike the iPhone you can't lead it down with everything under the sun and take it to a Genius Bar if you have a problem. Android makes you THINK. :eek:

Cognition is very nice as well, not my cup of tea because it's still beta and stuff and I lose my system settings, but it was good while I had it.

13. screamin400

Only issue so far is that I now have to have my wifi on to get an email. Any ideas?