• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted at last

Finally grew a set o clinkers and just ran with it!

Have been running on about 40MB of internal storage, dropping to 22MB before deleting some cache space and apps i dont use.

SDPHONESTORAGE.png

So wanted APPS2SD.
Did some reading and learning and finally settled on the UNREVOKED method.
Flashed Leedroid 2.2f and got what I wanted!
All went pretty painless enough, but wasnt sure if I partitioned correctly (used ROM MANAGER) until I got the Titanium app and saw the details. Made a couple of restore points along the way of course.
Bloody needed it!
Was messing around with stuff I didnt fully understand and ended up having to wipe the sd card and start all over again!
Got it all sorted out in the end, most terrifying point was waiting for the Rom to load. Absolutely sh*t-a-brick when I heard R2D2 for the 1st time! Think I lost about a stone in sweat!

Another reason was that I had been playing around with Folder Organiser, Laucher Pro Plus and Desktop Visualiser apps, basically playing with different homescreens etc. The appearance options these 3 give you is fantastic. Couple these with photoshop and the skys the limit, as they say.

The most deciding factor for me on rooting was changing the system font, sounds daft I know, but you know how it is! Once rooted, I looked more into pushing and pulling apks and all that, but was (and still is) too advanced for me yet. Got reading some more and discovered Root Explorer. Tried renaming Comfortaa with DroidSans font and pasting on top as it had worked on other devices, but couldnt get it to save, it told me there was not enough room! Thought this a bit strange, seeing as I had sorted all the memory out.
Long story short, I am now downloading font packs, dropping them in the sd card, then flashing them via Rom Manager.
Now finally where I want to be. Loads of storage and playing with different font, tried 3 already!
postrootstorage.png

1st Comfortaa
confortaa.png

Now LOTR
lotr.png

And Fat Boy Slim

fatboyslim.png

All font packs got from 200 Flashable Font Packs - Change your system fonts the easy way! - xda-developers

So a big thanks to everyone here and over on XDA, the information gathered has been priceless! ;)

So what did you go for rasta

im on miui with vorkernal currently with overclock @ 1152 on demand
i originally uninstalled it as it was so much like ios that there isnt an app draw and im not having an iphone so i returned to my nandroid. my wife laughed at me as my face looked rather disgruntled at the sense that was displayed before me.

i panicked as i couldnt go back to sense so i installed defrost, i reminded me of my old desire that i gave to the wife, i got a couple of kernels from it and then restored my nand of miui

i then realised i could put all the apps into a folder making my home screen completely clean and attach the folder to the quick bar and call it applications
how i have an app drawer :p

really nice and well thought out rom tbh, fast as hell and makes the iphone users a bit more jealous as i can do their look but better hahahahahaha

Upvote 0
...whats the snq smartass all about?

Now your rooted you can download an app called SetCPU from the Market. It lets you change the processor frequency to overclock or underclock your phone. Smartass is one of the govenors included in the app. Profiles are useful, you can set mex frequency to only 245 when the screen is off which saves battery.

-snq is one of the programers who helped develop LeeDroid, he did the kernel and a few other ROM improvements.

Upvote 0
@ED
Dont think I'd be brave enough for clocking or setting frequency yet, will need to do A LOT more reading before my clinckers are that big!
I like the idea of saving battery though.
Any links to guides or anything?

@ROWLERS, try marker felt, definately sticking with this for a while, looks great. Similar to LOTR but smaller. Was looking for some sort of graffiti font but liked this one a lot.
markerfelt.png

Upvote 0
@ED
Dont think I'd be brave enough for clocking or setting frequency yet, will need to do A LOT more reading before my clinckers are that big!
I like the idea of saving battery though.

Nothing to worry about, using SetCPU is as easy as using any other app.

First time you open it and grant it root access, it shows you the default CPU clock speed. You adjust it using a slider. Lower clock speed = less battery use, higher clock speed = more battery drain but faster performance.

I have mine set at the default for normal use, and have a profile which sets the maximum and minimum clock speed to 245 when the screen is off to save battery.

Upvote 0
Nothing to worry about, using SetCPU is as easy as using any other app.

First time you open it and grant it root access, it shows you the default CPU clock speed. You adjust it using a slider. Lower clock speed = less battery use, higher clock speed = more battery drain but faster performance.

I have mine set at the default for normal use, and have a profile which sets the maximum and minimum clock speed to 245 when the screen is off to save battery.

To add to this, these kernels are more often than not, undervolted so they run at higher clock speeds than stock, but at equal or less power usage.

Also, as there is no more power (heat) being used, its not physically damaging to the CPU. The biggest damager to CPU's is higher frequency + Heat.

The worst that can happen is your phone becomes unstable at the higher clockspeed and reboots under stress.

Simply take it down a notch if that happens.

Personally my CPU is unstable over 1152Mhz or under 925mV (power).

Upvote 0
BTW what is the easiest way to add an image of my screen in one of my comments?

The easiest way is if your phone is rooted by installing the ShootMe app. This lets you take screen grabs and stores them in the Gallery. From there, you upload them to an online photo service, copy the photo link on their website and paste the link to your post using the "Insert Image" button when you're typing a forum post.

There's another way to take screen grabs by connecting an unrooted phone to a PC and running the Android developer software. It takes a few minutes to set up bot once installed on your PC it's only a couple of clicks each time you need to screen grab. Haven't got a link to a guide about this at work, I'll post it later from home unless someone else can help.

Reactions: rgs
Upvote 0

Do you fancy sharing your profile settings please?
I'm not sure what I'm doing here and you seem to have loads of experience with SetCPU. I don't know what you mean by setting max & min to 245?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones