• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted but can't update or flash to stock. HELP

KrossT

Sep 27, 2016
Received a device that was previously rooted but will not root with towel root or kingo.

I downloaded the so stock .tar from Sam mobile, Odin fails (SW REV CHECK FAIL : [aboot]Fused 2 > Binary 1 error)
and kies will not accept model name (sm-g900a)

Tried to update via the phone update query but didn't work

I'm kind of out of ideas and resources.
Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
tyvm

this is what ODIN spits out

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin engine v(ID:3.1203)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Last edited:
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
The only stock firmware for the AT&T, U.S. network carrier model, G900A, is the old KitKat firmware, Android 4.4.2, that the phone was released on. If your model of phone had been rooted and then upgraded to late Android 4.4.4 or Lollipop or even Marshmallow, bootloaders, you will not be able to downgrade back to stock Android 4.4.2. See #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. Without knowing the bootloader you are on or your firmware details, it is pure speculation. Is your device currently rooted... use Root Checker from the Play Store. What firmware and bootloader are you currently on? See #1.8 for Phone Info *Samsung* to give you those details. More information on the AT&T model and options for upgrading can be found in the xda developers forum.

Upvote 0
The PA2 there is a tar you can flash with Odin

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160928-174935.png
    Screenshot_20160928-174935.png
    685.7 KB · Views: 238
Upvote 0
ok thanks.
i never thought about updating it through odin, i just dont want to mess up anything because i really dont have another phone at the moment. do you think it would be safe or possible to go to 6.0.1 from the 4.4.2 im on now?

kies says the 4.4.2 im on is the latest version but i know thats not accurate

Upvote 0
AT&T doesn't release their firmware so Sammobile and Kies will only have the first version that the phone came with.
Sometimes you can find a leaked version or one that someone extracted and converted into a tar that you can flash with Odin. Captured OTA's are more common.
If you have a active AT&T sim card and the Odin flash to PA2 works, you should receive OTA'S from AT&T.
No active sim, you can download the OTA's from the link and flash them with the stock recovery one at a time in proper order to 6.0

Upvote 0
nevermind the app let me in. i guess i had a weak wifi signal.

any chance you have any firmware for a SM-T217A (Galaxy Tab 3)
Previously on 4.4.2 (latest, updated via wifi), downloaded the only available firmware from sammobile (4.4.2)
Used Odin to attempt to flash fresh and kicked me to this perpetual "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and Try again." Loop.

Have tried Kies 2 & 3 and neither recognize the device.
attempted to use odin 3.07,3.09.3.10,3.12 and get FAIL!

ODIN LOG:
<ID:0/004> boot.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Im really out of ideas, i need this tablet for school
any help is appreciated

Upvote 0
yes the S5 is working on 5.1.1 and im letting it download the update firmware via air. im guessing the latest is 6.X.X which is where id like to be for some features.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH OMG!

Ive searched for the firmware literally 18 hours in the last 3-4 days but that was just using search engines. im sure someone savvy would know exactly where to look. its basically soft bricked and im kind of sad because i do use it for typing notes in class.
the latest firmware was 4.4.2 but the one on sammobile isnt the latest apparently and Kies 2 and 3 didnt support the device (probably because of a previous root too)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones