ROOTED but now afraid of OTA updates

Last Updated:

1. nathanb7

nathanb7 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have been successfully rooted now for a couple of days on my Incredible, and I am happy with it. I rooted because i thought i was going to be able to install a Froyo rom.....but am now aware that the Inc does not have this yet.

With updates hitting pretty soon I am pretty sure i will lose root....which stinks!!
    Should i downgrade now before updates hit?

What is everyone else's plan?

Also if i downgrade, it would be to stock and it wouldnt have the OTA update that has already been distributed.

Is anyone else worried or am i freaking out too much

Advertisement
  2. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

That's actually the only reason I haven't tried to root. I've been hearing the buzz about 2.2 coming and I thought I'd wait. The benefits of rooting (for me) aren't all THAT great just yet. It's a solid phone and a fast OS. I'm pretty happy.

3. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

there will be root safe updates within soon after if not before official OTA's are released so just root and dont accept the OTA and let someone give u one

4. nathanb7

nathanb7 Active Member This Topic's Starter

so is that going to be the plan...I can live with it, but still am a little uneasy.

one more question is there anywhere that i could find the original OTA update....just in case if i wanted to do recovery back to stock?

5. yojoe600

yes u can go back and there is a step by step guide in this section but i dont remeber where it is

6. Gh0stShinobi

Gh0stShinobi Active Member

I think if you have the custom recovery, you won't get OTA. That's what I've heard around here...but I'm not sure myself, guess I'll have to wait for the next update!

7. yojoe600

i think you are right i have hear the same and i have the custom recovery and do not get OTA nagging

8. rayporsche

rayporsche Well-Known Member

You might use the 'Root Explorer' app to rename the OTA file .....