Rooted captivate but still unable to uninstall bloatware

Last Updated:

1. latria

latria Member This Topic's Starter

I rooted my Captivate tonight and I know how the superuser icon with android skull and crossbones. However neither Super Manager or ASTRO will allow me to uninstall the crapware on my phone.

Is there something I'm missing? I followed all the steps at XDA. So far I've tried to remove YPMobile, ATT Navigator, and ATT Maps.

Any suggestions? I tried searching this on google and this forum but didn't come up with anything.

Advertisement
  2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

use titanium backup to remove them, i havent tried the others you mentioned

3. latria

Success... Such an easy fix.

Thanks crimson :)

4. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Don't remove them. Removing them can cause serious problems later.

De-activate them. TB makes this easy and safe.

This is outlined in the Captivate FAQ... you've been reading it, right?

Uninstalling stock apps - CapFAQ

5. latria

Yep and I also read this
    "restoring stock apps after deletion: If you accidentally deleted some of the stock apps and are now having problems, and would like to put them back, a file containing all of them can be found here.

I refuse to be held captive by bloatware. :)

6. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

This hasn't been proven to be a perfect 100% restore I don't believe. Plus it puts you at the mercy of someone else providing you files.

No one is saying you need to be "held captive". I don't like the bloatware either. However, I disable it... versus removing it. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by removing it. You don't get the free space back to use for something else, and the end result is the same... except you have the option to undo it at any time.

7. latria

I found a ROM for the factory ATT captivate so if anything goes terribly wrong I can flash it. I only removed a couple of things like YPages and ATT apps. I didn't start researching services to freeze or remove yet.

8. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

you can always go here and download the stock bloatware to your computer, then in case something does happen you would always have it. i wouldnt worry about it though. its under a title called "other stuff"

9. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

Interesting this thread has come up, I've made a discovery about the TB way of 'disabling' the bloatware. I use Folder Organizer and those apps are visible to it when you go in to label your apps. I don't want to see them at all, yet there they are - I don't see them anywhere else.