Rooted Carolina West HTC Hero.......Success!

1. MattX13

MattX13 Active Member

My carrier is Carolina West Wireless. I was afraid to try and root my phone because I couldn't find any info on rooting a Carolina West phone (CDMA).
    My buddy rooted his Sprint Hero and talked me into trying it on mine. We followed the directions at theunlockr.com and installed the Cyanogen ROM. It was a success and I couldn't be happier. Just wanted to post this in case there is someone else out there with my carrier that doesn't know if they can safely root their phone.

My phone says "Sprint" on the lock screen now, but other than that it works great. Much faster. My carrier just recently released a 2.1 update for this phone, but to find out about it I had to call them. It was ok, but not as good as the 2.2 Cyanogen ROM.

Advertisement
    :
    Hazmatt86 and andygu3 like this.
  2. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

Cool, nice to see see success stories without all the grief, well done and keep us posted and enjoy your phone again the way it is suppose to work, and make sure you make a Nandroid this way you can play with different Roms.

3. Songsinger

Songsinger Member

Does the Camera work ok for you with this ROM. I think I saw where this had been an issue for this ROM and the hero.
  4. MattX13

MattX13 Active Member

Camera works just fine. As far as I can tell, everything works normal.
    Oh, and I found in the settings how to turn off the Sprint logo on the lock screen.
  5. Songsinger

Songsinger Member

Sweet! Thanks for the quick reply!
  6. Songsinger

Songsinger Member

Hey Matt, Is picture messaging working for you?
  7. MattX13

MattX13 Active Member

I can receive, but not send. But it has always been like that. Even before this phone!
  8. Songsinger

Songsinger Member

humm. I could do both on the 2.1 release Carolina West put out last August. Now with CM6 I can't do either. :confused: Also I miss being able to play more flash videos.

Everything else is MUCH better than the stock ROM that was CWW's most recent.
  9. MattX13

MattX13 Active Member

I don't know what the problem is with picture messaging. I've never been able to send. I like CM6 better than CW's 2.1 release. I don't have any problem with video. The Youtube app works for me, and for other video sites I use the Skyfire browser.
  10. levatator

levatator Member

ive never been able to send or receive mms with my HTC Hero since new out of box ,
    PRL change from Carolina west Wireless 09992,to 0710, to 0410 ... same with all .
    Internet ... perfect, email , market , sms , all perfect !
    MMS all i get is similar to playing wacka-mole with download button in message
  11. levatator

levatator Member

Well guys I think on the HTC Hero (CDMA) with Carolina West Wireless is in the connection settings ... Seems the Hero that CWW has was made by a company called (PCD) Personal Communication Devices . It wasn't branded for any particular Carrier .
  12. Hazmatt86

Hazmatt86 New Member

If you guys are still active,thanks for this thread! My friend uses this network,wanted to root his phone. gladto see its possible. Can I ask a few questions though?
  13. MattX13

MattX13 Active Member

Be glad to help if I can. I have a Motorola Milestone X2 (Droid X2) now, but I still have the Hero laying around.
  14. ajharrold444

ajharrold444 New Member

My Carolina West HTC hero is stuck on 1.5, it won't let me update or anything.. I even tried this..help?