Rooted days before the framerate version released. Step by step instructions?

Last Updated:

1. ericshmerick

ericshmerick Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I rooted my EVO days before the recent September framerate fix was released. Now I need to "re-root" with the new version.

Hate to be dense, but how do I do this, as simple as possible? (steps, where to find the best ROM, etc). I'm just not sure what step to pick back up on and re-do the root with the new version. By the way, I used this walkthrough to do the initial 2.2 root (the videos are so easy to follow)

http://www.thedroiddemos.com/2010/08/27/how-to-root-the-htc-evo-4g-with-froyo-2-2-video-walkthrough/

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. t0ast3d

t0ast3d Well-Known Member

Why don't you just flash the new rooted build instead of updating and re-rooting? All the same.

3. bigddybn

bigddybn Well-Known Member

4. nykbob

nykbob Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat and have asked the same question a few times but can not get a consistent answer. I am rooted and would like the upgrade. Here is my question.

If I flash with what you have above, do I need to do a backup, and wipe before, and a reinstall of apps and content after I flash with the myn-OTA_Supersonic_3.29.651.5-DEODEXED.zip ? OR can I just flash with ROM manager kind of like if I were unrooted and just doing an OTA update?

5. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

According to others, you should be fine flashing this with just wiping cache and dalvik cache. But make a nandroid backup first to be on the safe side

6. nykbob

nykbob Well-Known Member

Thanks, So this is not like flashing a totally differnt ROM?
    Any idea what might go wrong that I should look out for? IF all goes well should everything be the same as before, except for the frame rate and other updates?

7. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

You might be able to get away without wiping data but you ARE flashing a new ROM so a data wipe is recommended (as well as cache & dalvik cache). If you decide not to wipe, everything may seem fine at first but you may run into issues down the road which may lead you to re-flash anyway.

With that being said, if you do not wipe data then all of your apps and settings will be preserved. If I were you, I would use to Titanium Backup to backup all apps and settings, do a wipe, flash the rom, then restore using Titanium Backup.

Also, don't forget to flash the new radios that came with the OTA.

8. bigddybn

I've flashed 3 phones so far. Didn't need to delete anything. All work great.

9. bigddybn

Just flash it.