rooted device become un-root

Last Updated:

1. loveandroid

loveandroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I heard that you can un root your desire(rooted) and it can get the updates,is this true?

If so i thought this:

Root my desire->get all the apps to sdcard and not on memory-> unroot->profit!!

Is this correct, mods?

Advertisement
  2. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

you can backup the apps to the sd card without rooting the phone using astro file manager or similar apps, but you can only 'install' them to the sd card if the phone is rooted. When 2.2 comes out you will be able to tell most apps where to install to, either the phone or the sd card.

the process of rooting and also re flashing with the default rom (un rooting) wipes the phone, and as some of the installed apps data is on the phone the apps wont run from the card as your suggesting. Also, im not entirely sure but i think the phone is still technically rooted if you were to do this anyway.

sounds like 2.2 isnt too far away to be honest so Im going to wait, rooting voids your warranty and if all your concidering doing it for is apps2sd I dont know if its worth it now.

3. loveandroid

I will wait a for 2.2 but just wanted a "insurance" in case nothing happens.

4. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

You can't 'unroot' a phone once it's rooted. When you root, you unlock the bootloader, and once unlock, you can't (most instances) lock it again. You can go back to the default ROM from a custom one but that does not mean it's 'unrooted'.

5. loveandroid

Does that mean I can get updates?

6. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Yes, if you have the stock ROM on your rooted phone, you'll get the OTA when it goes out.

7. loveandroid

So i was correct, in the end ->Profit!!
    :D