Rooted, Difficulty flashing radio....

Last Updated:

1. HyperTension

HyperTension New Member This Topic's Starter

Question, obviously asked in several previous threads, but I'm unable to resolve the next issue at hand with that data.

When I power on, and hit hboot, I'm still seeing S-On, yet if I log into abb shell, su, I get "#", as well as now having the icon for "Superuser Permissions". Used both unrEVOked3, and forever in this process.

I've attempted to install the radio update "PB31IMG.zip" via root of SD card. I'm able to see / install it, yet baseband is still showing 1.00.03.04.06.

I have W7, and have the option to "Hide extensions for known file types" off (Can't stand not seeing exactly what files are what).

What am I missing? I've seen that others have had to do the "*22899 then *228 option 2", yet If it doesn't show it as being a valid install, I'm hesitant to try and reinstall it

****Edit**** If this is the case, then I will wear the obligatory "dunce" cap for a bit.... Do I need to rename PB31... to update, the port over to root of SD and install then select "apply sdcard:update.zip"?

Thanks for any support on this.

Advertisement
  2. stuckpig

stuckpig Well-Known Member

-- if you are completely unrooted/unmodded you can install the radio update by placing it on the sd card

-- if you are rooted, you need to further achieve S-OFF by running unrevoked forever (after having ran unrevoked 3 to achieve root and installation of clockwork recovery), then you can install the radio update by placing it on the sd card

i would not recommend anything beyond that.

also, in the majority of cases, your sd card must be [re]formatted to FAT32 before your phone will read the pb32img.zip from the card.

3. HyperTension

Verified card format to Fat32 before this venture started, reverified through properties via PC.

Would it harm anything by running unrevoked forever again? I was under the impression that by getting the "#" via adb shell, I had enabled su, and was rooted?

That being said, Am I correct in renaming the file unrevoked-forever.zip to "update.zip", placing that in the root of SD, and installing from there?

4. stuckpig

stuckpig Well-Known Member

if you are still seeing S-ON, your unrevoked forever update was unsuccessful. it doesnt matter what the zip file is called, it could be foo.zip and it will still work properly. unrevo/f will only work if you did a proper unrevo/3 first...

S-ON == you can't flash your radio while rooted. keep trying and you might end up with a brick.

HyperTension likes this.
  5. HyperTension

Thats pretty straightfoward then. I'll redo the forever update and post results. In the interim, thanks!

6. dixonba

dixonba Well-Known Member

if you've already run forever, there should be an soff.log file on sdcard root. Post that before you run it again. I would be a little hesitant about running forever again after it failed. During testing of forever they ran into some instances of phone bricking...

unrevoked3 gives you root. Unrevoked forever gives you s-off. Quite a difference there.