Rooted droid and over the air update

Last Updated:

1. dancingwaters

dancingwaters New Member This Topic's Starter

I have a rooted Droid build number FRF84B. I recieved a notification of a over the air update for the phone. If I install this will it unroot my phone?

Advertisement
  2. patch

patch Well-Known Member

I think it depends if it's the full (~75 mb update discovered by johngault) or the 2.1-2.2 update (~45mb). If it's the full update it will replace your entire /system which will unroot, the partial I don't think it will.

If you're running FRF84B I'd imagine it is the full update since the later will check MD5 of all stuff it's patching before it starts and will probably fail.

I just looked at the 2.1-2.2 OTA update.zip and it seems it wouldn't unroot my phone. Not sure why people say that it would unroot -- su and superuser.apk are not touched by the 2.1 to 2.2 update as far as I can tell.

dancingwaters likes this.
  3. dancingwaters

I'm doing a nandroid backup now (just in case) then will try and install. Hoping it fails and the notification goes away.

4. patch

patch Well-Known Member

Was poking around both the official updates some more and I do notice that there are what I think are recovery images that are flashed as part of the update process -- I'm not sure how the updater works exactly, but there could be a chance that if it fails a checksum of some important files it's trying to patch, it might just flash your phone with the recovery?

Maybe some with more experience would know for sure about this -- I have just simply obtained root on my Droid through an exploit, and have not touched my recovery partition. Maybe the ones who say this causes problems rely on custom boot loaders?

5. dancingwaters

I went ahead after nandroid backup and selected install now. It rebooted the phone and tried to install the update. The update failed and showed the yellow triangle error screen. I hit the power button to back up one screen and selected reboot the system now and all is up and running perfectly. No changes to the phone..

twistedlim likes this.
  6. patch

patch Well-Known Member

Good to hear! Glad it worked out for you and thanks for the update.

7. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

If the update were successful, then yes, you would lose root.

howver, if you have an alternate recovery installed, it won't let it install through the method that the update wants - so effectively, it just fails, as you experienced.

8. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

yeah agreed. I assume one day I will have to wake up and deal with this, now I know the way to get past it quickly.

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Well-Known Member

Does letting it fail get rid of the update notification?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just hit 'Restart & Install' and it didn't even restart. Just told me my system was up to date lol.

10. ol_techer

ol_techer Member

Or it could do what mine did -- ran the download (45M), told it to update and got a message saying it was already up to date. No reboots. Gotta love it.

11. klownin5643

klownin5643 Well-Known Member

Awesome this just happened 5 minutes, After installing bb .04 on my girls droid. I was like "great an update" now what? Thank you for the info.

12. caustic

caustic Well-Known Member

I got the update notification today on BB .4, I hit install, it opened to SPRecovery with a message saying update.zip wasn't allowed (which would explain the 'allow update' I had to select when first installing BB). Seems to have rebooted fine, though I wonder if I'll keep getting the update notification now.

I thought most custom roms had the OTA updates disabled, don't they?

twistedlim likes this.
  13. klownin5643

klownin5643 Well-Known Member

solution was to let it try and apply the zip, it then said update failed.. blah blah.. reboot, and viola! no more update bug. sweet!

14. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

Got the update, hit the install, it started and then stopped...rebooted and back to root.

This place is great!

15. Lock-N-Load

that day finally came tonight. 1.6 MB update which was to allow flash to be in the market and some other security and fixes mumbo-jumbo I didn't care about. I made a quick nandroid backup to be safe and when I rebooted the update notice was still there, I allowed it to shutdown and reboot, got the failure ! with droid in white triangle, selected reboot in nandroid and restarted and still rooted on FRG01B.

16. Bandersnoot

Bandersnoot Member

I already have Froyo on my rooted Droid. I got the update notice this morning and the update failed. I want the latest update for Flash support and any other fixes Moto may have developed. How do I get it to run? Unit is stuck at FRG01B by Pete.

What do I do now?

17. Lock-N-Load

1. if you go "manual" FRG22D - found around here - you will loose root

2. if you want a rooted FRG22D - link also found around here - you have to use the P3 Deodexed FRG22D

3. you can get Flash right now, you do not need FRG22D - links to the 10.1 apk are on this forum

4. the vague "bug and security" fixes I have only read about that are confirmed are some BT settings and some Exchange server settings.. is that really worth it?

If so, do #1 or #2.. if not, keep what you have and download Flash and get on with life :)

I see no value in FRG22D so kept my rooted FRG01B and I have most the key features I need and see no value in from FRG22D IMHO.

18. Somniferum

Somniferum Well-Known Member

Since you're already running a custom ROM, the easiest way to get the latest update (FRG22D) is to install a custom ROM that was built based on FRG22D. One example is Smoked Glass 7.01 (which is the ROM I'm currently running).

It's possible to get back to stock, root, and update to FRG22D without losing root, but it's a lot more complicated. There is currently no 1-click root for FRG22D, and the update breaks root unless you take extra steps. If you really want to do this let me know, but just loading up a custom ROM based on FRG22D is much easier.

Bandersnoot likes this.
  19. ad720

ad720 Well-Known Member

So my wife just got home and told me that her phone updated today. She was running stock FRG01B rooted with easy root. Now it seems that she has lost root as WIFI tether will not function.

Is there a way to re-root without flashing a new rom or wiping data?

20. Bartl3by

Bartl3by New Member

Yes, if you have a recovery image created. But im not familiar with Easy Root so im not even sure if that option is possible. But if your sure you didnt create a recovery image, then no.

For those of you on Bugless Beast Version 0.4. Heres the FRG22D Stop OTA. Its pretty much petes FRG01B Stop OTA, I just changed it to work for FRG22D. Its essentially 99.9999% petes OTA just changed a couple lines to make it FRG22D friendly. Enjoy Guys.

Attached Files:

21. ad720

ad720 Well-Known Member

I have a nandroid, but I'm guessing that won't help since it will just prompt her to update again. Plus it's a virgin Nandroid so she'd have to set everything up again. Might was well just do the ADB method that works for FGR22D but requires a wipe. Thanks for the info.

22. Somniferum

Somniferum Well-Known Member

Unfortunately FRG22D (which ad720's wife would now be running, after the update) cannot be rooted with Easy Root/Universal Androot. There is currently no known method of regaining root that does not involve wiping data/flashing ROMs.

Only method I know of is the one OMJ posted here:

Guide to Rooting 2.2 for Windows and Linux

Good luck.

23. ad720

ad720 Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks much. I'll break the news. ;) Acutally I think it bothers me more than her. :)

24. Lock-N-Load

question...

after performing the above steps, the OTA went away as expected. BUT, I rebooted today and when the phone came on, there was the OTA update notice again.. WTF? I did the same process and rebooted, it failed, went into recovery, I booted up and as expected the OTA went away again.

1. how is this possible
    2. will this happen every time I restart??

25. patch

patch Well-Known Member

To disable OTA notifications, you need edit the following line in /system/build.prop:
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22D/50454:user/release-keys