Rooted Droid, larger SD possible?

Last Updated:

1. lraed74

lraed74 Member This Topic's Starter

I've been looking but cant find anything for my question. Are you able to have a larger SD card with a rooted Droid? I know 32gb is the max, out of the box, but didnt know if its possible for larger cards after being rooted?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

No.

3. publicanimal

publicanimal Well-Known Member

HUGE no. 32GB MicroSD cards have only been available for 3-6 months, before that 16GB was the biggest you could get.

MicroSD cards will NEVER exceed 32GB, manufacturers have said that is the absolute maximum amount of storage space they can cram into something that's the size of a fingernail... totally understandable.

Since bigger MicroSD cards don't exist and WILL NEVER exist, you can't go bigger, period.

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

<-- waiting impatiently on a 32GB Class 6 SD Card. The Class 2s on sale are too slow. If I'm gonna pay that much for an SD card, I want to make sure it streams data as fast as my Droid (and probably the next device I own) can demand it.

5. lraed74

Unless I'm blind, I'm seeing 64gb cards available and 128 will be out next year.

6. publicanimal

How do you know which class your is? I still have the packaging my 32GB MicroSD came in and it doesn't say anything about what class it is.

It's the SanDisk one in Verizon Wireless packaging, but I bought it for a steal on buy.com (a steal here being $120), must have "falled off the back of a truck".

7. publicanimal

Link? I could be wrong, but I was going off what I read from before 32GB MicroSD cards were released.

EDIT: Here's what I'm finding: "The official SDHC specs limits the capacity to 32GB. 64GB will most likely only be available under the SDXG spec (and probably won't work in most current devices)."

I think you forgot to put the word Micro in front of SD before you did your search.

8. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

huh? I see class 6 32GB SDHC on Amazon.. several actually and not that pricey & solid reviews

I have used Transcend brand with good luck before.

9. publicanimal

10. The_Chief

Yeah, solidly BAD. The only brand I could find on Amazon was something called Komputerbay and the data transfer speeds are pathetic according to those who ordered. Getting 2 & 3 stars out of 5. I think I'll wait on Sandisk or some other "reputable" brand. If you have a link to one, I would appreciate it.

11. publicanimal

I think Komputerbay is the name of the seller, not the brand. The price and seller on the link above has changed within the few minutes since I posted it, these must be selling a lot since the price dropped so low.

12. Lock-N-Load

oops.. my bad

13. publicanimal

14. Lock-N-Load

your 100% right.. I was spacing out and thought they were micro SDHC cards within the SD card holder/adaptor.

my bad.. sorry guys :(

15. publicanimal

If only I wasn't so quick! LOL

Now I'm worried for The_Chief, I think he wasted his money. So far as I can tell the 32GB MicroSD cards are not designated by Class 2 or Class 6, and I'm pretty sure SanDisk is currently the only manufacturer selling them in the USA.

16. The_Chief

I haven't wasted a dime - I haven't bought one yet! I know Sandisk only produces Class 2 cards in microSD. Maybe they'll come out with one for Christmas... :rolleyes:

17. publicanimal

Ah... when you said "impatiently waiting" I thought you meant you had one on order.

18. The_Chief

Oh no, not THAT "impatiently". I am up to about 14GB on my card with music and movies and I'm running out of space fast. So a 32GB card would give me a little breathing room... I just need it to stream things fast enough.

19. lraed74

20. Lock-N-Load

johngalt just wrote something in a different thread I did not know but plays into this thread...

"Also, there have been numerous discussions about how a Class 6 SDCard will not make that much of a difference b/c the hardware is hardwired to use Class 2 speeds. At best you get slightly better than Class 2 speeds."

21. The_Chief

:eek::eek::eek:

That would last me a little while :D

22. lraed74

23. ghmerrill

ghmerrill Well-Known Member

I have been hunting a larger card, down to 800 mb on mine... Several movies and a bunch of audible books really kill the space quickly. I found 32gb class 6 micro sd cards on ebay for $125. there are some sellers asking much less, but I'm betting those 32gb cards from china that are going for $ 12 are probably NOT worth getting....

24. publicanimal

Yes, this article also confirmed my previous statement that 32GB is the limit, at least for Micro-SDHC, which is the MicroSD standard all currently produced phones use. So while I was apparently wrong that MicroSD cards will never exceed 32GB, there was a factual basis that I was running on.

"These 32GB microSD from Samsung hits the 32GB limit of the microSDHC standard. The replacement standard is already in the works – the microSDXC standard. The microSDXC standard should allow microSD cards with a capacity of up to 2 TB to be released."

2 TB micro SD? My lord... that's some extreme nanotechology.

25. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

lol would if we could expand the sd storage past 32gb? that would be AWESOME!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D