Rooted Droid won't mount on PC after mounting system and SDcard...Support

Last Updated:

1. saucemanpc

saucemanpc Member This Topic's Starter

So I have searched on this issue and made sure all of my Moto USB drivers were installed on my PC and I still can't mount my droid.

Here's what happened:

I was trying to install bootanimations and was in the "mount options" area in recovery. I mounted the SDcard and system (which i don't know if i was suppose to do while connect via USB)

My PC froze an wouldn't turn back on (black screen) until i uplugged it and removed the battery.

After I got the PC back up and running I tried mounting the droid again and now it doesn't even recognize the USB. Nothing happens on the droid either.

Please help!

Advertisement
  2. saucemanpc

anyone?

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Is your problem with only the DROID on USB, or anything on USB?

4. saucemanpc

just tried the digital cam.....doesn't work. So it's a USB issue. Any idea what can be done?

5. johnlgalt

If you're lucky, and you haven't killed *all* your USB, and you're decent with hardware, and your USB post that is dead is connected to one of two headers on the mobo, then you can move the wires set from one header to another.

If you are not at all sure what I just said, and / or are not hardware savvy, either try to get it fixed (if it is under warranty), or else have someone who is hardware savvy in your area take a look at it before you go forward.

6. Darkwarrior006

Darkwarrior006 Well-Known Member

do you have a laptop or a desktop? If you have a desktop try connecting it in the back and see if that works. I had a problem were my computer would only read my hard drive if it was plugged in the back usb ports. Also try connecting your droid on another computer see if it reads it.

7. johnlgalt

It worked before, so the assumption here is that the port has now gone bad. I agree that the DROID itself also needs to be tested on another machine, as well as on another port on the same machine, but since it worked before, the rationale about the HD is probably not valid as that was a power issue - many cheaper mother boards will not supply the same voltage to peripherally located USB connections (i.e. front panel connections) that they do to the back panel / I/O panel connections.

8. saucemanpc

im not very hardware savvy........i will try connecting to another computer tonight.

it is an older laptop so it only has one usb port. it does recognize that something is being connected when connecting the droid now, but is not able to identify it.....and can't locate any drivers

9. saucemanpc

just tried connecting to another laptop, and indeed it does work. So I'm guessing I killed the USB port? But i don't get that I do get some responsiveness from the laptop about something being plugged into the USB.

10. johnlgalt

Well, USB isn't just a single wire or pair of wires connecting - each connection USB port actually has 3 (?) connections that are made. If it is one of those broken, then for example, it could be that it senses that something is there b/c power is being used but for the life of it it cannot determine what b/c the data communication line may not be working - but it still knows *something* is there.

Have you gotten a can of compressed air and blown out the port (in case some residual dust has gotten in there and is providing just enough static electricity to short it out)? Also, since the DROID is recognized by another PC, it really points to the laptop - but it doesn't necessarily mean that the USB is truly fried it may just be not working correctly due to a temporary short.

I'd offer to look at it but shipping laptops around is not cheap - best bet would be to take it to a shop and try to let them see if they can revive the port.

Be ready for the news, though, that it is, indeed, irrevocably damaged.

11. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

The thing with laptops, not all of their USB ports are made to support peripherals that draw large amounts of power (large for USB ratings anyway.) My newer laptop has a bunch of ports on the sides, and one time I tried plugging in a USB lamp to one. As soon as I turned on the lamp the laptop rebooted, and would keep rebooting until I unplugged the lamp.

The side ports really aren't for much more than transferring data to devices that don't need external power. For anything that puts a draw on the port, you should use the ones at the back of the laptop that are directly on the motherboard. Not all laptops are the same, so you have to check your specs.

But I imagine what happened is the Droid got connected to one of these low power ports, and the charging kicked in, thus drawing too much power and killed the laptop. Why it no longer works though is a mystery as my ports still function fine after removing the lamp that caused the similar issue for me. It could just be the draw was so much, it fried something on that USB header in your older machine.

12. johnlgalt

Assuming this is right, that USB port should be supplying full power, but cheap mobo OEMs may skimp out on power even in these limited situations....

13. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

Or depending on the age of the laptop, it's usb ports, even on motherboard, don't meet the rated power of newer USB spec.

And actually I just thought of something. USB spec is only rated at 500mA to begin with.. from what I read the Droid needs a 1000mA charger. I know it is supposed to draw less over USB, but maybe it was a bug in the rom that didn't switch it for that instance.

14. johnlgalt

And it could just as easily be something like the fact that the machine is old and experienced some glitch when he was performing DROID-gery on his &roid. Remember, this laptop has one single USB port. When was the last time you saw that?

15. saucemanpc

hahaha......the laptop is only a few years old but it was a base model Acer so not many inputs/outputs.

Good looks to everyone here. I will try a couple things and if it doesn't work I will probably take it to someone to look at........or just get a new one :) thanks again.

16. mouselounge

mouselounge New Member

Hey guys: I came to this forum because I'm running into the exact same problem. I have tested with multiple cables on multiple computers (two desktops, and two laptops to be precise) all with the same results.

All computers exhibit the same symptoms: One previously known good cable I use will not charge the phone nor prompt for mounting. The other cable will charge the phone but will not prompt for mounting.

The problem began after installing Sholes 2.0.5 and "Automount". When I realized there was an issue I uninstalled "Automount' but the problem persisted. On the off chance this was a software related issue I installed "MountUSB". It at least provides some evidence of a problem with the error, "Please connect your phone to USB first!"

The drivers are installed correctly on all computers (as the Droid mounted successfully before on all of them), the phone will charge via the USB port, and the "ba-deenk" and "bee-dunk" notification sounds occur upon plugging in and disconnecting.

HEEEELLLLP! Your advice is much appreciated.

17. saucemanpc

ok......so now i'm getting a message at least when I plug the USB into the port on my laptop.

It's saying "the usb device has malfunctioned........."

I don't get any notification drop down to mount though.

Do you think this is something wrong with the phone itself?