Rooted Droid X via in radiocom, should I update to .605?

1. credemann

credemann Well-Known Member

I'm rooted using radiocom and want to know should I update to .605?

I can't install the update because I guess the root won't allow the update. It looks like I would need to un-root then install the update then root again.

Any benefit to update to .605?

Advertisement
  2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

being rooted shouldnt prevent you from taking the OTA, i would just do a system check and take the upgrade (if it offers it, which it should)

being rooted doesnt do anything to your phone, except give you access to things you wouldnt normally be able to access.
    credemann likes this.
  3. cougar214

cougar214 Well-Known Member

The benifits to 605 depends on what you're running now. i'm assuming 602? If that's the case then the only difference in 605 from 602 is they fixed the lag in the keyboard.
    credemann likes this.
  4. credemann

VoidedSaint-Thank you for the reply. When I try and install the update the phone powers off then powers back on with a window that shows an open box with an progress meter and an android then my phone powers back on and a window pops up with an error "Update Status the software update failed" i then press the "ok" button. The system version still says .602. Even after a battery pull I still have .602

Now that I see what cougar214 said I see that the update is not all that critical. So i really don't need the update but still have a mystery as to why my DX won't install the update.
  5. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

do you by chance have any bloat frozen or removed or deleted?
  6. cougar214

+1. If you have the phone modified in any way, bloat removed, frozen, etc. the update will fail. To recieve an ota your phone MUST be stock in every way. This of course doesn't apply to being rooted. Rooting doesn't change any system files.
  7. VoidedSaint

yeah, i hope you havent deleted bloatware, its always best to freeze it, then unfreeze it, if you havent done any of this, there may be other things playing against you, and hopefully we will be able to narrow them down better, as long as you can give us more insight
  8. credemann

Yep i sure did delete some bloatware, now I gotta find out what and where to go to re install it.
  9. cougar214

Depending on how much skill you have with your droid you can just add the missing apk files back and reinstall the missing bloat. However if this route is to involved for you then an sbf is in order. This will actually be your best option. Sbf to 602, take the ota to 605, then root again and remove your unwanted bloat. But might i recommend you don't remove it, use titanium backup to freeze all the bloat instead.
  10. VoidedSaint

11. cougar214

The only reason I suggest adding the apk files back is some people don't wanna go through the, sometimes, long process of re adding all their apps, texts, etc. An SBF is always the easiest path to take of course.
  12. VoidedSaint

it is, the easiest path, is an sbf, but restoring all those apk's from other websites? not a good idea, i wouldnt do it, you have no idea what some people do to them.
  13. cougar214

True. But if you're already on 602 then you can just open the 602 zip and pull them from there. This of course is assuming you have d/l'ed the 602 sbf file.
  14. VoidedSaint

i do believe those apk's may be signed, so he would have to use 7zip and possibly resign them.. but i doubt that.
  15. credemann

Thank you everyone for your help! I saw the tutorial for sbf back to .602 and feel comfortable doing it but don't think i want to go through the trouble of setting things up on my phone again just to fix a keyboard bug. However if another update becomes available then I would definitely sbf and move forward. Thanks again!
  16. VoidedSaint

there probably wont be another update to come around for the DX, i do believe this will be the end of the line for the beast we know
  17. cougar214

Yeah. No more Moto updates for sure. Now we are fully dependent on our devs for our dx needs.