ROOTED EVO - Software Update

Last Updated:

1. jpix2010

jpix2010 New Member This Topic's Starter

I have a rooted evo and now have a new available system upgrade 3.29.651.5 If I download this will it hurt my phone or take away the rooting?

Advertisement
  2. Nitraine21

Nitraine21 Well-Known Member

Depends on what rom you are using and how you rooted your phone. If you are using a custom rom, updating could cause you problems. If you are using a stock rom updating may cause you to lose root, unless you rooted with unrevoked forever, in which case technically you should be able to.

My advice, hold off on it til a stock rom with the update is applied and flash that rom over.

3. zombdroid

zombdroid Well-Known Member

I ran into the same problem, I would not recommend this update. I found the 3.29 update from XDA and flashed it over the top of my original root. Everything worked fine. Make sure you Nand your system though. Head over to XDA and doing some searching around. Good luck!

4. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

5. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

3.29 has been out for weeks now... it is hardly the base of any recent roms. They are all based on 3.30. Flashing a rom based on these updates are exactly the same as if you accepted to ota. There are no new radios so its nothing more than a sofeware update. Don't take otas if you are rooted! Its nit worth the hassle.

6. zombdroid

zombdroid Well-Known Member

I have read that 3.29 was the official release for hardware v1 - v3 and 3.30 only arrived on EVOs with updated camera hardware. A few people have stated the 3.30 firmware makes their older hardware version (1-3) cameras stop working.

I cannot comfirm this, but there are a few post over at XDA.

7. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

My camera works fine with Myn's...which is a ROM based on 3.30. In fact, it seems to work better....dunno why...

8. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

mine is working better on too ...i'm on the new fresh...but going to check out myn's soon

9. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

Yeah, mine works fine with the new update, too, and I'm on an older hw version. You won't be disappointed with myn's, btw.