Rooted Evo using Simpleroot OTA just a couple of questions?

Last Updated:

1. Chris Broderick

Chris Broderick Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello Everyone,

I have my phone rooted and also went into the extras and loaded Clockwork and made a back up image file, but am not sure if the Simpleroot OTA way of rooting unlocks nand protection(is this something I need)?

I would like the phone to be able to:

remove sprint apps
    have access to the phones internal memory
    hot spot tethering
    CPU clocking
    FPS fix
    Still maintain the sense UI
    Not lose any of the functionality the phone currently has.

With all the the ROM options out there how would I go about achieving these goals?

Thanks for your help Chris.

Advertisement
  2. Mr. Monkey

Mr. Monkey Well-Known Member

What OTA update do you have?

3. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

The Simple Root method unlocks nand. As for the ROM, it is pretty much based on personal preference, any rooted ROM and a custom kernal will allow you to do any of those things. However, some roms come without sense and currently, there will be some lose in functionality if you go to a froYo ROM.

4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

If you've already rooted your phone, you don't need to run Simpleroot OTA. Maybe I'm reading wrong what you wrote. Or maybe you rooted with Simpleroot OTA and are now wondering if you needed to use that method for the list of things you want to do?

Simpleroot OTA was what I used to root my phone. This is a full root (NAND is unlocked), which I think is the way to go if you've decided to root. After I did this, I flashed a stock OTA rom with superuser. See my 2nd sig link. At this point, you will have everything in your list except the FPS fix and CPU throttling. To get these two, I used the netarchy-toastmod kernel, my third sig link. Flash that, and you will still appear to be running stock, but you will have 50+ fps, better touch sensitivity, and you can use setCPU to throttle your processor. There are other kernels that do the same thing, so you don't HAVE to use netarchy-toastmod.

Normally when you download a rom, the kernel is part of the ROM, so if you flash a full rom, you will lose the custom kernel. But if your ROM contains a kernel with the FPS fix and CPU throttling, you'll be fine. Most good ROMs have the fixes.

-edit-
    forgot to mention:
    some ROMs come without the Sprint crap apps. But if you flash a stock rooted ROM, they will still be there, so you will have to remove them manually. This is a good exercise, since it will get you familiar with adb shell. If you are familiar with unix-based OS's, it will be a breeze.

5. Chris Broderick

Thanks for all the help, it seems I am 90% of the way there. I flashed the fps and CPU fix but haven't had a chance to try setcpu yet. What is the best bench marking fps software?

Again thanks for all the help. Chris

6. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

try fps2d or quadrant standard

7. Chris Broderick

8. Chris Broderick

Ok,

so I am finally getting somewhere. I have installed and flashed the stock rom then the super user and then the fps/cpu fix. I have installed SetCPU and fps2d and both seem to work perfectly ( I am getting an average of 53 FPS and set the CPU at 1152max 245min ondemand).

Things that I still can't do are:
    Delete the sprint apps (hate them)
    Voice to text doesn't seem to work
    and I will be researching the wi-fi hot spot.

if you guys have any suggestions on any of this it would be a great help.

Thanks Chris.