Rooted Evo with UnrEVOked and now Camera wont work HELP!

1. MissMeggers

MissMeggers Member

I rooted my Evo 4G with UnrEVOked v3.32 and it worked but now my Camera wont work :( I wiped everything and searched all the threads trying to find an answer on how to fix it and I cant find anything. Does anyone have any idea on what I can do? My phone works perfectly fine otherwise. I havent come across any problems besides my camera/camcorder.

Advertisement
  2. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Well-Known Member

Did you flash a custom rom or kernel after you rooted? Are you on Android 2.2 or 2.3?

What does your camera do when you try and use it?
  3. MissMeggers

MissMeggers Member

Nope. All I did was root it then my camera wasnt working so I tried putting Sprint Lovers Rom on it to see if it would make my camera work because I read something somewhere that suggested it. Im on 2.2. When I click my camera it shows the white symbol for the camera (sometimes) and then goes straight to a black screen or sometimes it just goes to the black screen no symbol.

I Tried re-rooting it too, that didnt work. I also did unrevoked forever s-on. So now my phone is S-on (which I think means its unrooted?) but everthing still works (wireless tether) I tried to run UnrEVOked v3.32 again after doing unrevoked forever s-on and now v3.32 wont work. IDK whats going on Im usually really good with stuff like this but I think I should have just left it alone.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!
    ok so what is your hboot now?
  5. MissMeggers

MissMeggers Member

My hboot is 2.10.0001
  6. ocnbrze

what happens when you tried running unrevoked again? do you have the drivers installed? also try installing and deleting htc sync leaving the drivers. make sure all of your anti-virus is turned off and make sure that you have usb debugging off on your phone.

edit: i meant to say to turn on usb debugging not off.
    MissMeggers likes this.
  7. MissMeggers

MissMeggers Member

I've had debugging on when I tried unrevoked again, I thought it was supposed to be on. It says "root failed. Is your firmware too new?" When I try and run unrevoked again. I installed the drivers but it says something different than what its supposed to say. I think it says adb or something like that.
  8. ocnbrze

do you have s-on or s-off? did you get the drivers here:public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]? what about htc sync?

edit: the driver you want is the android-usb-driver. and once installed it should be say something like andriod 1.0.
  9. MissMeggers

MissMeggers Member

I have s-on now since I ran unrevoked forever s-on.
  10. ocnbrze

Ok but what about the drivers? Did you follow the wiki to install the drivers correctly?
  11. MissMeggers

MissMeggers Member

Yes I installed the drivers correctly, I just re did it again to make sure.
  12. MissMeggers

MissMeggers Member

I ran unrevoked again and it paused on running root and my phone popped up with a force close message saying that Zysploit stopped unexpectedly.
  13. MissMeggers

MissMeggers Member

Anddd i still got the ERROR:Failed to get root, is your firmware too new?
  14. MissMeggers

MissMeggers Member

Ok so I re rooted. I am now S-off again and when I went to my camera it did the same as it has been BUT I got distracted and let it sit for a second and it popped up with all the icons its supposed to. When I tried to take a picture it went away :(
  15. ocnbrze

ok so try wiping dalvik cache and cache in your recovery.
  16. MissMeggers

MissMeggers Member

Ok I did it. Still no luck :(
  17. ocnbrze

what is it exactly doing?

have you tried and flash a rom?
  18. MissMeggers

MissMeggers Member

My camera just still won't work. When I click it the screen goes bowl except for the white camera symbol then the white camera symbol disappears after a few seconds and the whole screen is black.
  19. ocnbrze

ok so lets flash a rom and see if that helps:
    1. download this: theMikMik.com • View forum - v2.xx. it is mikg2.42 which is am awesome rom.
    2.transfer it to the sd card
    3.power off then press and hold power+vol down
    4.in the hboot screen select recovery
    5. select "backup and storage" and select "backup" and make a nandroid backup
    6.wipe data, dalvik cache(advamced) and cache partition
    7.select "install .zip from sd card" and find your file and select it.
    8.after it is done installing then select reboot

now the first boot will take a while as it has to build up dalvik cache. so be very patient.

once done you will have a great rom that is very stable, fast and hopefully will have a workable camera.
  20. MissMeggers

MissMeggers Member

Still no luck. :( I'm using the mikmik ROM and my camera still won't work.
  21. MissMeggers

MissMeggers Member

I tried using the mirror app that came on the ROM and I got a colored static screen if that helps.
  22. ocnbrze

wow that is interesting. i was thinking hardware but then your front facing camera is not working either. i'm not sure if they are tied together by the same hardware or not. the only thing that i see that you can do is one of two things:
    1.you can keep your phone as is and wait until we gain root for gingerbread, then unroot and take your phone in.
    2.or unroot now and take your phone in. but they are more likely to either send your phone in or order you a replacement phone in which case you will get your phone back with gingerbread on it. at the moment gingerbread is not rootable.

unless someone else can chime in, those are the only option i see. who knows maybe unrooting might fix the issue. just do not accept the ota. if it asks you to update select no.
  23. MissMeggers

MissMeggers Member

I just got a new phone about a month ago, my current one, because I upgraded to ginger bread and it messed up my phone completely and it didnt have gingerbread on it. So maybe I'll take it in and hope that I get one that doesnt have Ginger bread on it :( I use my camera way too much, at this point the question is do I want my camera or do I want to be able to wireless tether :(
  24. MissMeggers

MissMeggers Member

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ashed-kernel-now-my-camera-will-not-work.html

This post says something about me installing a new kernel? Netarchy 4.3.1 or 4.3.2...I have no idea about kernels or anything, I tried searching to see if I could even find the download for Netarchy 4.3.1 or 4.3.2 and I couldnt find either of them. Do you think that flashing a new kernel could work? If so could you guide me a little on how to do it, I would be oober greatful lol
  25. ocnbrze

ok so if you are on gingerbread like mikg then those kernels will not work. they only work on froyo. however, htc just released the source code and there are only two kernels out right now. but they are still a work in progress and not fully featured yet. you can try the kernels in the rom/kernel sticky. just flash it like you would a rom except that you only need to wipe dalvik cache and cache before flashing. so basically you would make a nandroid backup, wipe, and flash the kernel.

another idea is to unroot your phone and see if that helps and if it does you can then reroot and see. you have to unroot one way or another anyways. just follow the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html guide. it has an unrooting section.