Rooted Fryo update question

Last Updated:

1. Train13

Train13 Member This Topic's Starter

Onee the " official" fryo comes out will I have to flash to stock then update or can I just apply the update to my rooted phone?

Advertisement
  2. dglowen23

dglowen23 Banned

u will most likely have to flash back to stock if u want the ota update but if u want to just wait for a stable rom u can apply it then, but by the time they make a stable froyo rom that everything works on the ota update will have gotten to everyone

3. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

My understanding is that if you're running the stock ROM (regardless of root/non-root) you'll be able to receive the OTA update. It's when running a custom ROM that you lose the ability to get OTA updates. You will lose root, however, when updating.

4. Big Dog KMc

Big Dog KMc Well-Known Member

Plus.. If you are using a home replacement like Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher and the like you will not get the OTA UP-Date. Must be in Stock TW Launcher. Went through all of this with the Behold 2 OTA 1.6.

5. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Whoa...that's a new one on me. So if you simply switch back to the original launcher when it's update time you'll be okay?

6. rwinterpacht

rwinterpacht New Member

I'm a little surprised that the home screen would have anything to do with this...however, after downloading Kies and trying to get that to work, I came across a post that indicates you need to be on the Stock home app to connect...which sure enough, made Kies work.

Kies is a little bloated, but I like that you can convert videos to make them viewable on your device (although I haven't tried.)

I also haven't tried the update, but it's been pulled from Samsung site anyway.

My phone is rooted with Stock rom...patiently waiting for OTA update...

7. lordmalice

lordmalice Well-Known Member

how does samsung kies even work what is it and y cant i get it to work on my com