Rooted HTC EVO and Asurion

Last Updated:

1. Nitraine21

Nitraine21 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have searched and haven't seen a clear answer, but just wanted to make sure.

I had recently cracked my screen on my EVO and it has been rooted with a different rom and running the netarchy kernal.

Should I wipe my phone to stock before sending it in, or should it not matter when it comes to insurance?

Any input would be helpful, especially to those who maybe sent their phone in already...

Advertisement
  2. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

I do not think they can argue the rooting caused the screen to crack. Warranty maybe, but not an insurance claim. I'd send it in the way it is.

Nitraine21 likes this.
  3. Nitraine21

Nitraine21 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Any other thoughts on this???

4. paintmoonsred

paintmoonsred Well-Known Member

I am confident that they won't care what kind of kernel or other soft/firmware you are using on the phone. The insurance covers physical damage, yes?

It is insurance, not a warranty yes? With a warranty, it is typical that they would put bounds on what conditions they will repair under. With insurance you are just insuring the physical status of the device, meaning they will fix the screen regardless of what's going on inside. Not a guarantee, just my opinion, but I see no reason to worry about your root status.

5. lamboh

lamboh Well-Known Member

everything gets wiped and reflashed anyways...but its best to do compelete wipe, factory reset, and take your sd

i've returned plenty of rooted/hacked/jailbroken phones to assurion...3 insincts, 2 blackberry's , 4 palm pre's ....pretty much every damn phone i ever bought from sprint since i opened my line back in 2008.(and only paid the deductible on 2 out of 9 phones) most/all were modded/hacked in some sort of way. that being said....the evo's the first( dont fail me now) phone from sprint i've ever bought . that i havent returned yet...havent even had an issue yet to even think about returning this phone.

and if you're really afraid/cant wipe the phone, .............tear that mother fxxxxx up beyond salvaging.lol

6. surfologist87

surfologist87 Well-Known Member

Just curious, how did you not pay the deductible? Lol that would be awesome.

7. iatrj

iatrj Member

I work for Sprint and they will not care at all if it is rooted. They wont even question it.

Nitraine21 likes this.
  8. jbroad572

jbroad572 Member

Probably because they warranty the phones for a year and overnight a replacement if the previous goes bad. Just a guess.

9. Roadblock

Roadblock Well-Known Member

I think your phone fell in a lake...

Cough cough.

10. SporkLover

SporkLover Well-Known Member

I've sent quite a few phones back to Asurion that were unlocked, and had different roms on them (previous WM life), they do not scrutinize the phone to that level.

They just send them off to be refurbished anywho.

11. lamboh

lamboh Well-Known Member

yup...and if you know how to work your mouthpiece....alot of things come out inyour favor....basically complain ,,,complain