Rooted, I think? Can I check? How to install a ROM?

Last Updated:

1. zoz

zoz New Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 16, 2010
    I have taken a lot of steps this evening... I had Stock 2.2 OTA, which I was able to downgrade to 2.1-update1. I tried the unrevoked method a number of times, but perhaps (as some stated) because I have Windows 7 64 bit, I never was able to get through the process.

I used Simple Root, which didn't work initially, but I forced some updates through adb (and looking at Toast Method). In any case, I think I'm rooted now, but not completely sure.

I have a # cursor, instead of a $, so I think that indicates root.. I also can reboot into clockwork recovery.

However, Rom Manager indicates it doesn't have permission, therefore, I can't get any ROMs to update. I tried to rename the ROMs as, but that didn't work. I noticed the ROM Manager appears to be looking for an older version of Clockwork, and perhaps that why it doesn't recognize it.

In short,

How can I make sure I'm rooted?
    How can I update a ROM?
    In particular I want a 2.2 ROM (probably Fresh).

Any suggestions on the next step?

2. kmoon89

kmoon89 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Titanium Backup, see if it lets you download the Busybox thing to "fix" root access issues.
  3. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    If you can get into recovery, you're rooted.

For ROM Manager, a couple of off the wall steps might help. First, check to make sure your wifi is turned on. I don't know why that works, but sometimes it does. While in RM, hit Menu>Clear Download Cache, then try again. If that doesn't work, it can also help to have a CWM recovery image in the root folder of your SD card. Here's a link to the latest CWM:

For Titanium, the way you get it to downlaod BusyBox is by tappping the Problems tab at the bottom right. I think the dev generally recommends it as a standard first time procedure.

It's also a good idea to install Superuser Whitelist. The market version doesn't always install right for me, but once you fix the recovery issue, you can flash it from RM, and that always seems to work. From RM, tap Download ROM>Extras>Superuser 2.3.1 ef.

When installing a ROM, don't rename it to update, just leave it alone and flash it as is. From recovery, select install zip from sdcard, then select from the list you'll get. You can also do it from RM (again, once you fix the recovery issue). Tap Install ROM from SD card, and you'll get a list of everything in the root of your card. All your zips will be at the bottom of the list. Select one, follow the prompts, and RM will do the rest. Happy flashing.