• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted my phone...now what ?

OK, so I finally rooted my phone, however I'm not at all fussed about putting a custom ROM on it as Im quite happy with the OTA 2.2 I've got.

So...what else can I do ? I know I can now use Titanium Backup, but what else is available to me ?

If you'd like to install Unlimited number of apps, try StarBurst ;)

The best thing rooting gives you is the custom recovery. With Clockworkmod, you can now save your system state so that whatever you do to your Desire (custom roms etc), you can always return to the state in which you created a backup

Reactions: BurnCK
Upvote 0
Is there a thread that lists what ROMs are available ? So far I only know of Ginger Villain and LeeDroid.

Can anyone also tell me what's to be gained from it ? I watched a YouTube video of the Ginger Villain 1.6 ROM and to be honest apart from some Nexus wallpaper and different keyboard I didn't really see why I should bother changing to it (ok the video wasn't in English so maybe I missed something).

Upvote 0
Is there a thread that lists what ROMs are available ? So far I only know of Ginger Villain and LeeDroid.

Can anyone also tell me what's to be gained from it ? I watched a YouTube video of the Ginger Villain 1.6 ROM and to be honest apart from some Nexus wallpaper and different keyboard I didn't really see why I should bother changing to it (ok the video wasn't in English so maybe I missed something).
Insertcoin 2.0

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=861690

Upvote 0
If theyre not google contacts, you can restore them via titanium, but its messy and could even be the cause of some issues you have had (Restoring data into a different version of the app).

Best bet:

Nandroid backup of now.
Nandroid restore to last rom
Export Contacts to SD
Nandroid restore to now
Import contacts from SD card.

Upvote 0
Brr... You could have asked that a bit earlier...:D

One solution is to go through the same process, except this time use MyBackup to backup SMS in the old ROM and restore them in the new one.

Lol, yeah I should have asked earlier....was just a bit eager to try out the new ROM. Gives me something to do later tonight though :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones