• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted - Need a gold card?

Sorry to hijack this thread but my question is similar.
I have also rooted using unrevoked my phone was unbranded

I have read many tutorials on here and on xda (thanks guys!) and as I understand it I only need a goldcard to return back to a branded stock ruu.

As I was on unbranded software before I rooted am I right in saying that I dont need to create a goldcard?

Upvote 0
Anyway, even if you don't make the goldcard, I do suggest putting any memory card available with you in the card reader and issuing the following command from Android-SDK\tools folder :

Code:
adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid>c:\gldcid.txt

This wont take any time at all, and IF you're mistaken about having a non-branded phone, you can create a goldcard later. This command will query your card containing device for the CID of the device (required for making a goldcard at a later date) and backup the number in the file c:\gldcid.txt.

If you find that you want a goldcard at a later date, you can use this file to complete the other steps of creating a goldcard.

The disadvantage is that sometimes (according to some) a goldcard cannot be made with some cards. But the possibility is remote if you stick with major brands and smaller card sizes. Creating a goldcard means you're assured it WILL work.

Anyway, doing something is better, right?

Reactions: Bam82
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones