Rooted, no custom ROM - want new Sprint 2.1

Last Updated:

1. verngator

verngator Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I rooted my Hero for the purposes of removing some bloat ware and free tethering, but did NOT flash a custom ROM. Of course I should have known better because it

Advertisement
  2. 702DROID

702DROID Well-Known Member

with you just running on the stock sprint rom then yes as soon as its out you can then upgrade to the 2.1 rom from sprint....keep in mind that they will more then likely have root access patched and this could prevent you from rerooting the device and being able to flash custom roms

3. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

Or free tethering, which was why you said you rooted in the first place.

verngator likes this.
  4. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

Or free tethering, which you said was the main reason you rooted.

Oops, sorry for double post, if a mod sees this, please remove.

5. verngator

Thanks!

I want to be sure that I understand. I think 702DROID is saying that the answer is "yes" to this part:

I can unroot my phone without flashing the recovery image, and then just flash the new Sprint ROM.

Additionally, I think 702DROID is saying that until it has been released, we don't know whether the new Sprint firmware has plugged the hole that allows users to root their Heros. If Sprint has plugged the hole AND the smart folks here and on other forums don't figure out how to open it up again, I could be stuck with only flashing Sprint-released ROMs...

...and uminchu advises that I could lose tethering in that scenario if the new Sprint firmware does not allow it.

I tether infrequently, but want the ability to do so.

Did I understand correctly?

6. 702DROID

702DROID Well-Known Member

yes without root access your ability to tether using the wifi tether app will no longer be available to you

verngator likes this.
  7. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

as far as I know... the only way to unroot is to RUU the phone. that would reset the phone to a brand new out of the box condition.

verngator likes this.
  8. verngator

Hmm, that doesn't seem to match up to the other answers...reseting = wiping phone...

Dang, I'll just be patient and wait...

9. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

The only way to unroot a phone is to RUU. Wiping is different from doing the RUU. Wiping resets your data and settings and all that good stuff, but doesn't affect the status of the phone. That is, wiping doesn't affect the ROM itself, and won't put you back to stock. Running the RUU program will put oyu back to stock, and you won't be rooted anymore.

10. jame0

jame0 New Member

devs will make a quicker version of 2.1 right out the gates so no need to be worried. I'm staying rooted so I don't have to worry about that in the future.

Also I'm pretty sure you will need the recovery image to flash the stock RUU.

And with that being the case you can just wait for the stock 2.1 firmware and flash that.

11. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

RUU is an application you run on your PC. it's not something you flash. RUU is Radio Unit Upgrade. it will completely reset the phone to out of the box condition.

12. teejaymarx

teejaymarx Member

Actually it is ROM (Read-only Memory) Upgrade Utility, but your description is correct, the main RUU for the Sprint Hero is Android 1.56.