Rooted noob with questions

Last Updated:

1. kmg

kmg New Member This Topic's Starter

So I was on 2.2, rooted using the method on xda. Everything went swimmingly. I'm now on rooted stock 2.2 rom. Wireless tether doesn't work, which I assume is because I need to flash a custom kernel. I also can't seem to flash a custom rom, which I think is because I'm not nand unlocked. I used unrevoked forever and am s-off. I used amon ra recovery I guess. But I also installed whatever with rom manager.

So I'm wondering, how do I nand unlock? Is it just a full wipe including the dalvik cache? Do I always have to do a full wipe when I flash a rom? Is there a quick and easy way to nand unlock? It looked like I could full wipe with the dalvik cache from recovery. What's a dalvik cache anyway? And about flashing roms, am I going to have to flash antennas and stuff every time? Are all roms pretty much compatible with all the custom kernels? Or should I check and make sure to check all the compatibility for that stuff? Is there a kernel that will both make my wireless tether work and break the 30 fps cap? And what about improved performance and battery life?

So many questions!

Advertisement
  2. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

you should have a unlocked nand.to flash a rom you should make a nandroid back up just incase something goes wrong.you can go back to it make sure to wipe everything and then flash it.you wont have to flash radios everytime you do a rom yes sometimes a dev will get there hands on a newer radio and will say you should flash it but its up to you.im not completely sure about kernels since i had a htc hero and there really were not a ton of kernels like the evo has.i would make sure they are compatible first.wireless tether should be working on stock rooted 2.2 i heard that it hasnt been working well since the latest update so check back to it in a little and kernels will break the fps cap...

and about dalvik cache im thinking it has to do with apps but im probably wrong.