Root Rooted! Now What?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by small205, Sep 28, 2010.

1. small205

small205 Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2010
    I've read all about rooting and how it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think it's just the first step in creating a monster of a phone. I'm now rooted but where do I go from here? I downloaded boot strapper for recovery but i get an error every time i try and use it. I want to eliminate those crap apps (if it's safe) and customize the phone. But what roms are the best and where do i get them? what are my next steps? Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement
  2. RJT185

RJT185 VIP Member
    VIP Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The best way, IMO, is to "Freeze" the pre-installed apps using Titanium Back-up. Check out the All About Root sub-forum, there's several threads that list or link to the list of apps that are safe to remove/freeze. As for what else is there to do? I'd familiarize myself with Linux first, since ROOT is a Linux principle. But so far beyond hardware and kernel limitations, the sky is the limit. So go over to the Root Sub-Forum and check it out!! :)

3. small205

Aug 24, 2010
    where does Titanium Back-up back up to?

4. small205

Aug 24, 2010
    Also, I got a warning: "Your system settings will prevent you from restoring applications. To correct this, go to your phone's settings, then in applications and tick the unknown sources checkbox." Should I worry about this? Should I do what it says?

5. crg31953

crg31953 Active Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Green Bay, WI
    IMO Titanium Backup is a must have, along with other things it can backup your user and system apps to you sd card. I have the donate version myself. Regarding ticking the unkown sources box, this allows you to run apps that are not from the Market, I always have this ticked.

6. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    If you're getting an error using Droid 2 Bootstrapper, you may not be successfully rooted.

What is the error, and when does it occur?

Before doing anything w/your D2, the most important things to do are:

- Make backup of your current unsullied ROM w/Clockwork Backup so you can revert if things go wrong

- Understand how to flash an SBF file if you can't even get into CW Recovery (or don't have a good backup for some reason) and have to return to stock to start over. Anyone playing w/ROMs/customizing should, IMHO, download and install everything required to SBF and make sure they understand how to use it...

Droid 2 sbf - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum