Rooted! Now What?

Last Updated:

1. small205

small205 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've read all about rooting and how it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think it's just the first step in creating a monster of a phone. I'm now rooted but where do I go from here? I downloaded boot strapper for recovery but i get an error every time i try and use it. I want to eliminate those crap apps (if it's safe) and customize the phone. But what roms are the best and where do i get them? what are my next steps? Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement
  2. RJT185

RJT185 VIP Member VIP Member

The best way, IMO, is to "Freeze" the pre-installed apps using Titanium Back-up. Check out the All About Root sub-forum, there's several threads that list or link to the list of apps that are safe to remove/freeze. As for what else is there to do? I'd familiarize myself with Linux first, since ROOT is a Linux principle. But so far beyond hardware and kernel limitations, the sky is the limit. So go over to the Root Sub-Forum and check it out!! :)

3. small205

where does Titanium Back-up back up to?

4. small205

Also, I got a warning: "Your system settings will prevent you from restoring applications. To correct this, go to your phone's settings, then in applications and tick the unknown sources checkbox." Should I worry about this? Should I do what it says?

5. crg31953

crg31953 Active Member

IMO Titanium Backup is a must have, along with other things it can backup your user and system apps to you sd card. I have the donate version myself. Regarding ticking the unkown sources box, this allows you to run apps that are not from the Market, I always have this ticked.

6. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

If you're getting an error using Droid 2 Bootstrapper, you may not be successfully rooted.

What is the error, and when does it occur?

Before doing anything w/your D2, the most important things to do are:

- Make backup of your current unsullied ROM w/Clockwork Backup so you can revert if things go wrong

- Understand how to flash an SBF file if you can't even get into CW Recovery (or don't have a good backup for some reason) and have to return to stock to start over. Anyone playing w/ROMs/customizing should, IMHO, download and install everything required to SBF and make sure they understand how to use it...

Droid 2 sbf - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum