rooted once on 2.1, but now...

Last Updated:

1. BossTone74

BossTone74 Member This Topic's Starter

I've rooted once on 2.1 to obtain tethering. I followed some instructions to get this to work. NOW I would like to go to 2.2, and re-root, to be able to do my tethering without taking a $ hit.

I received the OTA and quickly found out that it failed due to my previous rooting, so it was unsuccessful.

What would be the steps I need to take? I'll pull my pics, and music off, other than writing down my account setting I'm fine with wiping it clean.

Advertisement
  2. tbeas

tbeas Well-Known Member

So you are still running 2.1 and rooted? Or you are 2.1 but unrooted?

3. NilsE

NilsE Well-Known Member

If you are on 2.1 rooted or not rooted try to find the RUU file and upgrade to 2.2 that way (from the PC). Or you can locate the 2.2 Update.zip file and upgrade that way from the phone.

The RUU will do a full factory reset so you will have to reinstall everything. The Update.zip will preserve your settings and apps but many people are reporting problems and end up doing a factory reset after the install anyway.

Either way you will need to re-root again but the good news is that unrevoked is now available for the new 2.2 radio

4. BossTone74

Sorry for the confusion, I am running 2.1 and rooted.

5. BossTone74

Update...I have unrooted and have gone back to stock. It runs nice and smooth, it was a bit slow. NEXT STEP is to get the either the OTA 2.2 or install it myself. the OTA isn't showing up???

Then after that, ROOT BABY ROOT...
    then tether!

then done, until I find something else to do