• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted Optimus T now w/o home screen, menu, or icons, just black-SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok here we go.
Thanks in advance for reading this and maybe being able to help me.
My husband decided to get adventurous with his Optimus T Black and try to root it because he was reading about all the extra things you can do with it, on it, app wise etc. . . I am usually the one that does all these kind of things NOT him. I thought he was joking, I was wrong. He made it thru the root process it looks like he was able to customize the font and options on it and then all of a sudden "force close" pop ups starting popping up non stop so he manually shut the phone down by pulling the battery. When he tried to turn it back on and will not go passed the "Android" screen.

I have read many threads and just can't seem to figure out what it is, I thought it was bricked and then it came back on but everything was enlarged, kind of zoomed in it seemed, it was mainly unresponsive black background and icon tray at the top the only thing that appeared but nothing functions. Then I tested it and it goes into emergency mode just fine without a problem and comes out of it. The power key+vol. down does nothing for me, no download menu comes up it just boots up and then stops at the "Android" screen again.

The laptop is not recognizing the phone when it is plugged into it and the LG Update tool isn't recognizing it either and there is no way to try to restore the firmware thru that tool since it won't recognize it.

Any suggestions on how I might be able to solve this issue? For now I will continue to creep and crawl thru Google search results and forum posts to see if I can find anything that relates. But I am pulling my hair out :thinking:

Thanks again in advance for the help.

UPDATE:
MORE ISSUES THAT ARE OCCURING THAT MAY HELP IN FIXING OPTIMUS T

The phone powered on to the home screen (with the sliders on it) but it comes up with the icon tray at the top and the screen is black with no background or icons. Here is the WEIRD part: phone is sending and receiving texts without a problem. You have to recieve the text and then it becomes visible (when it first comes in) you can type, respond and do everything you would normally do on the phone and then send it. It then returns to the inbox of messages but if you hit home or back out of that you are back to the black screen of nothingness. Now while typing this update his phone recieved a phone call from a friend and it came up as it normally would, I slid the slider and answered the phone call, once it was over it went to recent calls briefly and then to the screen of nothingness again.

WHAT THE "F" (Pardon the "f") could be causing this? Did he erase an important file possibly? He rooted using the z4root way, I don't know much about it becuase I have never used it or do I want to risk rooting my G2 until I fully understand what the heck I am doing so that I don't end up like him and his phone. I asked him if he backed the phone up, he said "I don't know", I asked him what process he took in rooting it and he said "z4root" I asked him what files he deleted off of the phone and he said "There was instructions and color coded symbols with the files I could delete, green meant safe to delete, red was not to be deleted, I erased the 'green means go' files and nothing else" So he definitely did something wrong to cause this issue but no idea what. . . Thanks again for reading the post and attempting to lend me some tech advice on the issue :)

BTW: His phone has Android 2.2 on it and yes it does have third party apps but it started this after the "thought to be successful root"

HERE ARE SOME PICS:

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...isp=inline&realattid=1361939324241707008-1&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...1&disp=thd&realattid=1361939400041168896-1&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...1&disp=thd&realattid=1361939363600007168-1&zw

Upvote 0
Okay, I have been searching for HOURS on end now, since about 8 am this morning and finally found something that seems like it may suit the issues. Does anyone or has anyone ever acccidently removed there "home app"? Reading these issues match right up with the ones we seem to be having. . . any input out there at all for me? Even just a suggestion in the right way would be more than highly appreciated. :)

UPDATE 2/28/11
Ok now the phone powers on past the "Android" screen and goes all the way to what would be the normal home screen with the sliders and they all work but when you slide and unlock it the screen is black except for the icon tray at the top. None of the buttons cause anything to display. But if you recieve a text or plug in to the computer it is fully functional and also recieves calls and you are able to answer them. I downloaded the LGhome.APK onto the phone just by placing the file in the downloads folder of the phone and it didn't recognize it probably because it wasn't put on with ADB? I am not sure how to use it so I am doing my homework on it and then going to attempt it.

mail

mail

mail

Upvote 0
The factory data reset may be your best option, brnf2008.

First, try this:

1. From the main home screen, tap menu
  2. Tap Settings, then Privacy
  3. Tap Factory data reset
  4. Tap Reset phone
  5. Enter your password if required, then tap Erase everything to confirm

If that doesn't work, or if your phone is frozen:

1. Turn the power off. If your LG Optimus T is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
  2. Hold the Home and Volume Down button
  3. Press and hold the Power button until the device turns on
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your device

Reactions: brnf2008
Upvote 0
The factory data reset may be your best option, brnf2008.

First, try this:

1. From the main home screen, tap menu
  2. Tap Settings, then Privacy
  3. Tap Factory data reset
  4. Tap Reset phone
  5. Enter your password if required, then tap Erase everything to confirm

If that doesn't work, or if your phone is frozen:

1. Turn the power off. If your LG Optimus T is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
  2. Hold the Home and Volume Down button
  3. Press and hold the Power button until the device turns on
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your device

Unfortunately I have done all these steps and they don't do anything to the phone, it now boots regularly but the home screen/icon/menu do not appear no matter what button you press it just stays black. I downloaded the LGhome.API onto the phone just by placing the file in the downloads folder of the phone and it didn't recognize it probably because it wasn't put on ADB. I am not sure how to use it so I am doing my homework on it and then going to attempt it.

I thank you for your help and advice.

~Brittney

Upvote 0
The issue was a LGHome.apk issue. He must of deleted while being uninstall happy (; But the problem is fiixed (majority of the way) I was able to access the internet using the search button on the phone in doing so I pulled up ASTRO file manager download AND THANK GOSH :D it had a link to the Market app on the site (cause I couldn't access it from the phone otherwise) I downloaded it and then followed these steps:

1.Download Astro File Manager from the Market
2.Connect your phone to computer in disk drive mode (connect to USB cable, select Disk Drive(or USB Mass Storage drive) from the options that appear on the phone, press Done)
3.Copy the APK file to the SD card (anywhere you like)
4.Disconnect phone from computer (remembering to Safely Eject first)
5.Open Astro and browse to the file
6.Select the file and choose the Open App Manager option
7.Press the Install button

8.If you get a message saying:

Upvote 0
I understand this is an over one year old thread. I just had the same problem by accidentally deleted the LG Home when rooted the phone. I have successfully installed the third party LG Home app on my phone and everything seems worked correctly UNTIL.... when I restarted my phone. Then it will go back to the "Android" screen and refused to start. Fortunately, I have set an alarm, when the time was up, the phone started! It seems it needed something just to boost it. Is there any solution? Many thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones