1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Rooted or not rooted

1. teemgreen99

teemgreen99 New Member

Hey everyone new to the forum but not forums in general. I searched but didn't really find what i was looking for so here goes. I have the droid razr maxx and im wondering if its a good idea to root the phone? I have never rooted a phone before so this would be my first time. Also can it be done from the phone itself or will i need a pc?

Advertisement
    :
  2. carracerz14

carracerz14 Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want to use it for... You can seriously screw things up if you aren't careful.
  3. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

The Maxx on the stock ROM is a nice phone. Unless there is something specific that you want to change there is not necessarily a reason to root.
    That said, I root mine mostly because I just like messing with them. Though as Carracerz says, you can seriously screw things up if you're not paying attention to what you're doing. Additionally, most of the ROMs currently out there have one or more things that don't work correctly. Depending on what that thing is and how you use your phone, you may or may not care.
    Read a LOT, review the ROM threads, understand fully what you're thinking of doing BEFORE you root the phone. :)
  4. carracerz14

carracerz14 Well-Known Member

Rooting doesn't just have to do with roms. There are way more useful things just just flashing roms, I mainly use it for Titanium backup and safestrap so i can make compete backups of everything, though I do flash roms also sometimes.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  5. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

My 2 cents... If you consider yourself even remotely a "tech guy" then consider rooting. If you aren't scared to roll up your sleeves and take a risk then consider rooting. If you want to be in COMPLETE control of your phone then consider rooting.

Best advice I can give is to read, read, read, ask some questions and keep reading.

Personally, I ALWAYS root. My wife does not. Different wants and different needs.

We're here to help, answer questions and guide you if you decide you are ready to pull the trigger! :)
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  6. JemmyDucks

JemmyDucks Well-Known Member

The practical advantages are relatively few, IMO. I'm rooted (or at least my phone is) because I want to use Adfree and WiFi hotspot and because I wanted to silence the Droid's boot animation.