rooted phone after OS updateSupport

1. usml

usml Active Member

I have an unlocked Galaxy Nexus. One of the reasons I rooted it is to use Catlog (as you may know, Catlog requires "super user" priv.). The headache is, every I upgrade the OS on phone (downloaded automatically, then keep asking me to install the upgrade), I have to go through the rooting process again. Does anyone know why the upgrade would undo the rooting? Anyway to avoid it?

TIA.

Advertisement
    :
  2. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator

I moved this here for you. Best of luck to you.
  3. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

Are you referring to an OS upgrade or an update of the app itself?

If you are talking about the OS, yes a lot of OS updates will cause you to lose root. Some people have luck using things like root keeper but that didn't work for me last time. Sometimes you need to re-root and sometimes you can just side load super user to regain root. At least that's what I had to do with the last upgrade on my device. (Forever ago thank you Verizon).
  4. LoBatt

LoBatt Well-Known Member

Try Scary Alien's Android Root Toolkit from the play store. Select the option to save root then after your next OTA, use the option to restore root. Easy peasy.
    ryancmatchett likes this.
  5. usml

usml Active Member

Yes I was referring to OS upgrade. I'll try Scary Alien's Android Root Toolkit. Thanks!

Update: downloaded the toolkit, looks like it doesn't do the most important part -- root the device.
  6. LoBatt

LoBatt Well-Known Member

No, it'll only save root if you already have root. There isn't an app which will root your phone that I know of. Wug's toolkit is pretty easy though.
  7. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Well-Known Member

I would download SkipSoft's toolkit from my sig. You can unlock,root and flash the stock OS or the most recent OS to the phone all within the toolkit plus much more. It's by far the best Toolkit I've used and it makes life so much easier. Plus it's super easy to use as the toolkit does everything for you. Just choose a number and press enter.

Good luck