rooted phone - can't install app

Last Updated:

1. robphelan

robphelan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so, i have rooted my phone using 1 click lag fix. everything is working fine.

I went to install the droid x Eye wallpaper - I transferred to my SD, then tried to install using Astro File Manager.. I get the popup stating that "For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in the Android Market".

Is this because Astro is not using super user privileges?

Advertisement
  2. Norwester

Norwester Well-Known Member

Hi Evo owner here just digging up forums for my sis that has become captivated by the Captivate. I bet thats real lame here already huh?

With the Evo I had to go into settings-menu-applications and check a box to allow installs of non-market apps. Probably somewhat the same for the Captivate I'd guess.

So are these phones a pain to root? I've been getting yes,no and "well sorta sometimes" type answers. Just wondering what I've talked myself into. :confused:

3. sparker366

sparker366 Well-Known Member

ATT blocks non market app installs. So what the previous poster stated about the settings menu is not there cause ATT blocks it. Just because you rooted doesn't mean that enabled it. You will need to get the side load wonder machine and use that or find the instructions to edit the settings.db file to enable non market apps

Steps to mod the settings.db file From XDA forums

Method 2: with Root Explorer
    (courtesy of kirbo20)
    This is a pretty easy process. I went in to Root Explorer - dbdata - databases - com.android.providers.settings, copied settings.db to my sd card, edited it on my pc with a db editor changed 0 to a 1 next to non market apps. Copied it back to the original directory, rebooted and installed a non market app.

(added by gotfolk)
    again using FF plug in..

Click Secure on the left pane

click on install_non_market_apps

click edit

number 3 states value click there and type in 1. hit ok
    (/gotfolk)

Please use caution. If you want to make sure the db save properly open it on your sd card before you copy and replace the original. It should open up as a readable table. If it opens up in a txt editor its corrupt. This permanently enables non market apps. You can not toggle it on and off.

( This is a sqlite3 database file, you can find many GUI editors that will be able to handle the editing, including a FF plugin. Search "SQLite" )

4. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

If you don't want to change the settings DB or side load wonder machine - you can use the SDK and the ADB command - no root required even.

5. Gemini

Gemini New Member

Can u tell more about this?