• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted phone fine for months, now FCs whenever Superuser runs

stepthrough

Lurker
Apr 17, 2013
After reading every post and page that could possibly help me, I have been driven to ask for help. I have the P509/Optimus T through t-mobile (obv.) with Froyo/Gingerbread? 2.2.2 (Extra details: kernal 2.6.32.9 : build # FRG83G : software V10s).

I have been rooted for at least 6 months now with no actual problems than occasional n00b errors. I haven't noticed any recent changes. Stock ROM still with no updates. Some of my apps have been updated. I did notice a crash log from 3/16/13 in my files. Have some developer experience in other environments but never Linux, so I am either reasonably competent or know just enough to be dangerous...

The issue is that Superuser Force Closes every time it runs now. It fails to get root access. That kind of renders all my backups and recovery options unusable.

-Superuser had updated to 3.1.3. I have read that many people have problems with the update (I had been running it for a while before the problem started). 3.1.1 binary.
-Tried uninstalling update, clearing data, and rerunning. Fail.
-Installed Superuser Update Fixer. Fails on trying to get root access.
-Tried installing other version directly from androidsu.com. Can't use .zip files because I can't boot to recovery (see below) unless I am just clueless, but I can install .apk. Reinstalled Superuser to version 3.1.2.1 (what?) but still fails.
-Do i have root shows that I am still rooted; RootChecker FCs although I can see most of the variables it finds.

-Time to run a recovery, right!? Uh oh, ROM Manager (ClockworkMod) FCs when it tries to reboot to recovery. Can't root.
-No problem, I will force recovery screen. Try battery out + power button as I read somewhere. Try all combos of home + volume (up and down) + power. Only manage to do a factory reset. Well, maybe that fixed it? Nope. Superuser still crashes in original version (2.6.3?) and after updates.
-Does anyone know how to get a recovery screen on the T??

-Try some other operations that are suggested:
-ROM Manager fix permissions = FC
-Install and run SuperSU = FC
-Reinstall Gingerbreak. It tells me it can't find SuperUser.
-Reinstall Superuser binary - can only find in .zip format, and without being able to run ROM Manager/enter recovery, I can't seem to install it. If I am missing a method or app, please let me know!
-Busybox and Online Nandroid Backup won't run. I have a backup but can I flash it with damaged root?

I apologize if I have overlooked some obvious fix, skipped a critical step, or abused the terminology! My next step is to really study the technology & explore the SDK option, but I'm a bit nervous.
-Would running a different exploit potentially fix the issue or is it an underlying bug in the software that can't be fixed that way?
-Anything I can do in a terminal emulator?
-Any way to get a recovery screen????

All clues will be appreciated!

Update: problem has been fixed through a rather un-elegant manner. Using the "How I unbricked two phones" post (http://androidforums.com/optimus-t-all-things-root/455670-how-i-unbricked-two-phones.html) I completely overwrote a new stock ROM (V10S for me), then re-rooted. Big thanks to cybernetictoas! I was nervous about installing this stuff to the phone but didn't feel like I had much to lose. If it had gone awry, the next step would have been the same one I was going to try next anyway (connecting to PC and figuring out how to flash from USB or interact through SDK).

I would still LOVE to find out if their is a hard key method of recovery on my P509/T. Nothing has worked and I'm sick of unwanted factory resets, which is what it seems to do instead.

So now what? Relish the pleasure of deleting "Diner Dash Demo" yet again? Restore Nandroid from almost 2 months ago which may harbor the same source of my root problems? Or start fresh with a custom ROM? Custom is tempting! But there don't seem to be great options for the 2.2.2. I've seen something about downgrading CM7... Time for more research!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones