• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Rooted S3/Backup/Reset Questions...SCH-I535

Mar 1, 2015
UT
Ok, noob here. I have a Galaxy S3 my old roommate gave to me a while ago. It is rooted, and I never did any factory reset or anything on it when I got it, I just started using it as it was. This is my first Android device, so I don't know exactly how to do a lot of the cool stuff. Now, my question is: what steps would I have to follow in order to reset the phone (and does that get rid of any settings/passwords etc SHE put on it?)? I've done a backup of photos/music/contacts, etc so that's not a problem. I am wanting to reset it for many reasons (old stuff from an old roommate whom I don't speak to, phone is slow, etc) but I'm not sure what to do from here. I also don't want to screw up the phone, because I cannot afford another one. I'm interested in hearing what people like the best (ROM, recovery, all that fun stuff) and possibly a quick how-to, since I'm new to Android for the most part. I don't necessarily need someone to hold my hand but a little help would be fabulous ;) I'm not too sure what info about my phone I should add, so if someone is kind enough to help me out, I will provide whatever necessary. Thanks in advance!!

P.S. I should also add that the phone is originally Verizon, but as I said, my old roommate rooted it and I'm currently using it with Cricket Wireless. Not sure if that affects anything.

Last edited:
Hi MulishaMommy444, welcome to Android forums.
Factory reset is fine. You should reset it and sign in with your own google account (gmail) .
A factory reset will wipe all user data, including any apps that are not system apps.
It will be like turning on a new device. But of course will still be rooted. I'm not sure about Roms for that s3, because I have the sprint model (very different). You might want to check in the Verizon root subforum. Good luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you SO much for the help! I will do that shortly. I'm still learning about ROM's, but I will definitely be checking the VZ forum (I wasn't too sure where exactly to look)!
Well I can move this thread there for you and give you a link if you'd like. :D
Well actually I'm not sure because its the Verizon model. But flashing Verizon Roms might not work because of network.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you look at the info about the phone, under the settings, it will tell you what model you have. That should tell you which carrier it was for - or at least which ROM's you can use. I just added a new ROM and found that some of them used the "LTE" designation for all of the SG3's from the US. Best to check with the developer of each ROM to be sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones