1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Rooted S4, next step nandroid

1. Jimliner

Jimliner Member

Hi, Thanks everyone for all the help.

I have rooted my Sprint Galaxy S4. Rooted using Odin. I have installed SuperSu (Chainfire) v 1.41 and Titanium Backup PRO v1.2.3.

I would like to learn how to do the nandroid recovery. If I brick the phone learning to modify files, I can recovery back to latest back up.

What I understand to do nandroid recovery is I need to download app Goomanager and then TWRP. Is this correcto.

This is where I am getting confused/lost. I don't want to brick phone without having a recovery option, so I am holding here.

Sprint, Galaxy S4, SPH-L720.
    Android 4.2.2
    Baseband - L720VPUAMDL
    Kernal 3.4.0-529760
    Build JDQ39

Any assistance or point in right direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

That is correct - you should download goo manager, and then, Hit Menu button and select Install OpenRecoveryScript.
    That should install the current version of TWRP (2.5.0.2 for your device I think).

(I assume you prefer TWRP. Else, you can install CWM instead - but I haven't looked at the steps to do that. I use TWRP. Regardless, the install should be seamless).

And yes, you definitely want to create a nandroid backup before you do any modifications to system files (and you need to install TWRP or CWM to create nandroid backups)

Note: The Nandroid backup of the stock Sprint ROM is sizeable. Remember to not change the file/folder names after you create the backup, and it may be a good idea to compress it.

I chose to backup to the 64GB microSD card (TWRP lets you do that) because I didn't want to lose 2-3GB of internal storage to the nandroid.
    Jimliner likes this.
  3. Jimliner

Jimliner Member

Thank you jj14x.

I downloaded Goomanager. Installed the openrecoveryscript, TWRP. I don't see it anywhere on the phone, but that is ok, I saw the downloading bar show its progress to completion.

If you could bear with me for a couple more quesitons.?.

Do I now download Nandroid and install from playstore?
    If so, then using Nandroid how do I make a copy of current entire phone system. Does this go on phone sd, or my sd in phone, or on pc??

Lastly, if I brick phone, do I reboot phone into recovery/reload..... load saved phone files?

Thanks, appreciate you help.

Jim
  4. Jimliner

Jimliner Member

Just found YouTube on nandroid, S4 with goomanager TWRP.
    Looks like I don't need to download any more apps.

Goomanager, Reboot to recovery. Make nandroid back up of system.
  5. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

Sorry about that delay in responding. But you are right - goomanager, reboot to recovery, and make nandroid backup.

If you ever do run into issues, just reboot to recovery, and restore from nandroid.
    Jimliner likes this.