• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

rooted, tried all the ROMS, same problem....PLEASE help

jcamp37

Jun 4, 2010
Okay, so my phone worked flawlessly. Updated to 2.1 from sprint. Then it startd randomly just turning off, about every 20 minutes. Like when I would end a call w/ the pwr button, or press camera button, it would just shut off. Other times, I would pull out my phone and it would just be off. So, I figured I'd try rooting and running another rom. Tried several (really like fresh 2.1). The phone will stay on for as long as I'm using it, i can surf the web for 20 minutes with no problems. But if I turn the screen off and put it in my pocket, theres a 50/50 chance when I try to turn the screen back on that the phone will be off. Its aggravating as hell. What do I do? There has to be some solution to this. Try a new battery maybe? I'm lost. Please...someone help...

I would suggest trying to get a new phone or a new battery. I had a problem like this on a older phone where one day it was fine and the next it would just shut off randomly. from what i was told by sprint is that the batteries can sometimes swell. Not enough that you can see but enough to cause it not to sit right. Take it to a sprint store and see if they can give you a new battery or another phone.

Upvote 0
flashing 2.1 ruu would undo the root and would get rid of ur rom.

don't flash the newest ruu released on 6/4. otherwise you wont be able to root it - as of now.

once u get the official ruu on it, it will be unrooted and sprint wont know that u rooted it before. tho if you bring it in or call CS, they will tell you to update it the latest ruu anyways...

anyways if you're under warranty try to get them to replace it.

Upvote 0
alright. I guess I'll put 2.1 back on it, and bring in the defective phone. Which I've had for less than a year, meaning it should still be under warranty. Has anyone had any experience with sprint as far as getting a new phone? are they going to make this a pain in the arse, or just hand me a new phone...??

Upvote 0
for those interested, I've been researching my problem. replaced the battery today, didn't help. After searching the web for the past 2 days, I found a forum today on sprint site with atleast two dozen people that had this problem, and there IS a solution thats working thus far. Its to install the grandfather clock application. It chimes every 15 mins (and u set the volume to zero) this keeps the phone partially awake, while using very little battery. Seems to be working so far, no resets in 45 mins (which is a record after updating to 2.1) yippeee!!! may not be the fix I was looking for, but if itkeeps my phone on, im happy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones