• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted Vs Unrooted

Can someone tell me what the difference is between Rooted and Unrooted cell phones are?

Im having issues getting Android 2.1 and HTC Support suggested "Unrooting" my phone and gave me the directions to do it, and after unrooting it, and doing a factory reset if i still cant get it they said I may have to exhcange my phone for one already equipped with Android 2.1

any comments?

Reactions: mrsureshisha
I`ll explain it as if its a pc makes it easier to understand,so an unrooted pc would have an OS on it and would allow you to do mostly everything, but you can`t change system settings etc like CPU speed can`t remove certain software etc etc , where as if the PC was rooted it would mean you could install whatever your liked on it change cpu speeds etc basically a phone which is rooted allows you to have administrator rights where as unrooted doesn`t,

as long as you know what your doing having your phone rooted is`nt a bad thing, gives you more control, but then again can cause problems again if you don`t know what your doing.

Upvote 0
you know when your phone is rooted when you can perform system apk's uninstalls, such as message apk if you want to use something else (i.e go sms). or much easy, you know when you've rooted your phone when you can install an apk that needs rooted phones to work, such as titanium backup.

the thing about rooted phones is that you can do a lot more things with your phone, you can install any android rom you like, from the devs that does this things (Best look at villainrom roms). as poultrom said, you can set your hero's cpu power up to 710 or, if you are one of the lucky ones, 740 mHZ. I have my phone set at 690 and it works fine.

You can also change your phone's font.
You can backup almost everything, from apks (user and system apks) to system preferences.

Heck, you can do anything you like. Just think about it, htc's roms are just a 'barrier' for the first time user to not **** up their phone. if you know you are up to the challenge to root your phone, do it. but if you don't even know how to uninstall a PC program, do not perform anything on your phone, because you risk to brick it and htc will not give you a damn thing back, because it will be your fault.

i'm a happy user of an rooted hero for 1 year now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones