• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted w/ Auto Root but S-On

whytecountry

Jul 18, 2010
I rooted my phone manually, but was having trouble rooting a friends TBolt so i decided to just use this Auto Root thing (Found Here: [Auto] Root and Unroot (Windows) - Android Forums)

We are successfully rooted, but with S-On. I've read like 300 articles but can't figure out how to get S-Off. ADB is set up on my comp, using it is no problem for me, does anyone know how to get S-Off after we have root without doing this process over?

S=security,so security on,security off in a nutshell.

good: you can flash boot images,radios,recoveries,and ruu updates that are not approved by HTC via a security off bootloader. its also more likely you will be able to recover your phone in the event of a disaterous "soft brick".

bad: you can turn your phone into an unrecoverable paperweight if you flash the wrong file. since the phone will flash anything without doing any kind of security checks,you have to be very cautious when flashing in hboot. make sure the file is intended for the TB,being brought to you by a reputable developer,and make 100% sure that you check your md5 sums to make sure the file is not corrupt before you flash it.

as far as how to get the s-off bootloader without starting over,i dont know.

if the auto root only brings you root with s-on,i personally would use another method.

Upvote 0
S=security,so security on,security off in a nutshell.

good: you can flash boot images,radios,recoveries,and ruu updates that are not approved by HTC via a security off bootloader. its also more likely you will be able to recover your phone in the event of a disaterous "soft brick".

bad: you can turn your phone into an unrecoverable paperweight if you flash the wrong file. since the phone will flash anything without doing any kind of security checks,you have to be very cautious when flashing in hboot. make sure the file is intended for the TB,being brought to you by a reputable developer,and make 100% sure that you check your md5 sums to make sure the file is not corrupt before you flash it.

as far as how to get the s-off bootloader without starting over,i dont know.

if the auto root only brings you root with s-on,i personally would use another method.

Yeah maybe I'll try it manually again. The only reason i used the auto-root is bc for some reason on his phone it wouldn't prompt us to update after installing the P05IMG in HBOOT. and it was ruining the whole process so I decided to take what I thought was the easy road. I'll try starting from AFTER the HBOOT/P05IMG step manually through ADB and see if that solves it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones