Rooted w/ Unrevoked3...OTA?

Last Updated:

1. cartisdm

cartisdm Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm sorry I'm sure this has been/will be covered tons of times but everyone seems to have custom ROMs and crap w/ their rooted phones when they ask this question. I simply did the Unrevoked3 (1 click root) a long while back to root my phone. Other than that I haven't really tinkered with it.

Can I safely do the OTA update to 2.2? I have been seeing stuff mentioning "S off" and "Unrevoked Forever" but I'm not familiar with what those are...Do I need to do these?

Advertisement
  2. jayhawkfan18

jayhawkfan18 Well-Known Member

I am wondering this exact same thing..

3. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

i dont think you will receive it with having your phone rooted... but if you do it may not even install

4. -ebby-

-ebby- Well-Known Member

From what i understand is if you do the OTA you will lose root unless you do unrevoked forever. I was in the same position as you yesterday but i decided to flash my first rom instead of waiting for OTA. I Flashed a rom that was just a rooted version of the leaked OTA that they think is final

5. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

What you want to do, is run unrevoked forever to gain s-off IF you want to 100% get root after the OTA2.2, unrevoked forever is different from unrevoked3, root vs s-off,. Now to be able to get the OTA it is from my understanding you will need the stock recovery. as for HBOOT i am hoping someone will chime in, I am currently running stock radio stock recovery, stock everything with s-off and have hboot of .79.. Ive heard that you need .77 but I can't imagine that it will be a problem, but I am almost positive you need the stock recovery, do a quick search you'll find it.

6. cartisdm

cartisdm Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the info. I will look into getting Unrevoked Forever and S-Off after work. If I do end up getting the OTA pushed to my phone, I'll wait before install it

7. fifthstreetjammer

fifthstreetjammer Member

I'm in your position as well. all ive done is root with unrevoked and tinker, no roms, but form what ive read we should just wait til the "final" build is out there that someone can make available for those who are rooted. also i wana say ive read that if u recieve the update, installing it shouldnt be an issue, but you will lose superuser access (root), then you will have to wait for these awesome devs to root 2.2 for dinc.

Im in no way an expert on modding, just pour through threads, so if i mis-stated something please correct me

8. Celerity

Celerity Member

Same boat as you guys, I went through this last night, it's simple.

1) Apply X-Off
    2) Apply rom (OTA or leaked OTA). Honestly just do the leaked so you don't have to wait and you know it'll work. This will update your radio to 2.x if you don't have it already, and it will update your hboot which breaks unrevoked 3, and thus step 3:
    3) Apply new Clockwork recovery and re-root.

This Thread over at XDA-Developers (also at Droid Life with public links) has been widely used and syndicated and it works perfectly. (Don't worry about busybox, just install via the market if you want it).

The Droid Life link there has the rom already extracted so you can skip that step.

When done, I recommend installing the android sdk and following these instructions to remove any bloatware you don't want.

9. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

yes you will loose root, but if you have S-OFF installed by using unrevoked forever by the great unrevoked team, then you can get the OTA and 100% keep root, AND they just released the awesome new to turn it back to S-ON, for those warranty purposes, and I have used them both and work great!

10. fifthstreetjammer

fifthstreetjammer Member

11. turbozombie

turbozombie Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat as some others here.

I rooted with Unrevoked3 and did nothing else (everything else stock).

I tried to install the OTA 2.2 update and it sent me into an endless reboot loop. I had to reset the phone to factory and lost everything, but still have root.

All I want is the stock OTA 2.2, get rid of unrevoked3, and I can't seem to be able to do it. I'm upset :(

12. Maddingo

Maddingo Well-Known Member

I had the same problem. Not sure of my exact steps to fix it but it was a bit of a pain in the ass.
    I believe you first need to place PB31IMG.zip (forgot where i got this, search for it) in the root of your SD card. Reboot into hboot (I think that's what it's called) by holding volume down and power on. It will read the image and ask you if you want to apply. Toggle to yes. This should put your phone back to stock. No more root...I believe. Then I flashed RUU_IncredibleC_Verizon_WWE_1.22.605.2_Radio_1.00.03.04.06_hboot_0.79_release_161494_NoDriver_0514.exe
    from Index of /shipped/Incredible. After that I flashed the update.zip file from the google server. To do that I just placed it on my SD card and rebooted into hboot and toggled recovery. I hope I was allowed to post this information, if not sorry. I hope I am remembering my steps correctly so proceed with caution. There also may be an easier way but this worked for me. My next step is to root again so i can use wireless tether.

turbozombie likes this.
  13. turbozombie

turbozombie Well-Known Member

Thanks Maddingo.

right now I'm stuck with 0.77 hboot and from what I gather I can't get 2.2 Froyo until hboot is updated to .79. What a nightmare!

I'm really hoping this works.. will report back tonight.