Rooted, Went CM 6, And My Hero Is Transformed

Last Updated:

1. deedub

deedub Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was on the fence for a while, did a lot of reading, and I finally decided to root and, a few days later, decided to install Cyanogen Mod 6 (9/9 Nightly). I have had my Hero about 10 months, it came with 1.5, I installed 2.1 when it became available from third party developers, and then I installed the Official 2.1 (and the OTA update) when Sprint/HTC made them available.

I won't bore you, but the long and short of it is the phone is absolutely transformed. So much quicker doing everything, no phone lag at all, no keyboard lag whatsoever, the launcher home screens snap as you go through them. Plus I love all of the new features of 2.2

The latest builds of CM 6 are very, very usable and I will put the final in if/when it becomes available.

Not saying you have to do it. All I am saying I have done it and I am not going back. :D

Advertisement
  2. hattrick1965

hattrick1965 Member

I did the same exact thing 2 nights ago......and I will not be going back! Huge difference in speed and customization. Only drawback is sometimes the charging led doesnt quite match up with the charging percentage. But thats fine with me for what I get in return :)

3. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Hopefully you mean the 9/8 and not the 8/9

4. andygu3

Green charging light comes on at 90%

5. deedub

Roger Andy. Meant to say CyanogenMod 6, September 9 Nightly. Thanks and edited :eek:

Dave

andygu3 likes this.
  6. wardfan

wardfan Well-Known Member

If it had the stock HTC rosie I'd still have it on my phone, but I missed that too much. Also the other problem I had was that when I added a contact it always made it a google contact and I couldn't make a regular in the phone contact. My ONLY 2 issues with CM6, it runs amazingly and I agree, the 2.2 additions are nice.

7. androidtp

androidtp Well-Known Member

i'm color blind so no biggie :D

i swear that yellow and green look the same!

8. androidtp

androidtp Well-Known Member

+1
    totally agree
    just flashed!!

9. usnret04

usnret04 Active Member

+1. This is by far the best mod I've ever done. I used the one click method, nothing could have been easier. I'm using CM6 9/10 nightly.

10. T 980

T 980 Well-Known Member

I've had RC1 flashed on my phone ever since it came out. I was thinking of flashing one of the nightly's but I hear that the final release will be out extremely soon :D

11. andygu3

RC2 will hopefully be out soon, then more nightlies, then the RC3 (hopefully the final)

12. stay_clean

stay_clean Well-Known Member

RC2 will be out when it's out, there is no word at all regarding it's release, or a final release. Can't really go wrong with flashing a nightly, can always Nandroid back if you choose. RC1 is a bit old at this point..

13. deedub

Update:

Just installed the CM6 9-15 nightly, with help from and thanks to andygu3.

Went into recovery boot, did a Nandroid, wiped the dalvik cache, wiped the cache, installed the 9-15.zip, and rebooted.

All installed apps were intact, all the settings were the same, and the new nightly in place.

Very sweet. :D

andygu3 likes this.
  14. ConanOBrien

ConanOBrien Member

Yup

2.2 > 1.5 > 2.1

My 2.1 freshrom kept crashing and was incredibly slow so I went back to Fresh 1.5

on 2.2 now FTW

15. ionekoa

ionekoa Well-Known Member

can you provide the link you used, also do you know of a step by step guide? im a pretty visual/experiencial learner so it would help if there were pictures/video. i recently rooted and have been wanting to put on a new rom but haven't found anything showing me how. i REALLY don't want to missinterpret something i read and end up bricking my phone.

16. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

I realize you didn't ask me, but here is the guide I used: How to flash a ROM Just be sure to use a ROM thst is for the Sprint HTC Hero (CDM), and not just "Hero", as the other Hero is GSM used in Europe.

EDIT: realized you are already Rooted...changed link to: How to flash a rom.

ionekoa likes this.
  17. ionekoa

ionekoa Well-Known Member

already rooted. what i need now is help with an actual ROM like cm6, fresh, whathaveyou... step by step install instructions, and a link to a rom that is specific for sprint hero and specifically android 2.2(ie i don't want to end up going to some link that will install android 2.1 or 1.6 or some other older version..) i have found lot's of links and finding one that is for the right phone isn't difficult. the problem i find is that other than the instructions assuming you already know how to perform each of the steps ie "boot in recovery mode"(this one i do know, but if i didn't i would already be lost) and simply listing them without explaining how, is that in the version numbers, they are list the version of the ROM, which is fine and dandy, but to a noob like me it means nothing and does not clearly indicate which version of android it will be installing(as i stated im specifically looking for 2.2).

so i suppose to make it clear im looking for "ROMS for dummys" and assuming that it is for the correct phone a clear discription that says "cyanogens latest android 2.2 ROM" or "latest version of fresh for android 2.2" in addition to that, a user friendly guide to things such as accessing the overclocking/underclocking features of the roms, live wallpapers, how to change you're bootscreen etc(though first priority is getting 2.2 running).

18. d2offrover

d2offrover Member

19. redman722

redman722 Active Member

In the video, he states you have to have two apps. Universal androind root and rom manager. Where do you get these two apps? Im using 2.1 leaked ruu. do i need to flash to 2.1 official? Did you use this same procedure?

20. d2offrover

d2offrover Member

You can DL rom manager from the market. I got universal androind from one of links in the video.

1. I first downloaded UA and dropped the file to my SD card
    2. Downloaded the Rom manager from market and installed
    3. Downloaded CM6 and dropped the file to my SD card
    4. Used a file manager to open and install UA.
    5. Followed video instructions.
    6. Downloaded gapps
    7. Installed gapps from recovery

redman722 likes this.
  21. redman722

redman722 Active Member

Thank You for your quick reply! First, i know just enough to be dangerous so im sorry for the following idiotic question. When you said you downloaded UA(assuming that means universal android root), did you dload it to your computer, then transfer it to your sd? same Question about dloading cm6? Found website for dloading universal androot and gapps. Thanks in advance!

22. d2offrover

d2offrover Member

I downloaded universal androind and cm6 to my computer and dropped the files to the SD card

23. deedub

Latest update:

I flashed the CM v6.0.0 stable rom as soon as it became available and I also flashed the collin battery tweak. No problems at all with that configuration and it ran very smoothly and everything functioned pretty well.

I was curious to to try out the uncapped kernel, so i did a Nandroid, re-flashed the stable rom, flashed the 9/17 gapps update, flashed the 9/14 uncapped kernel and then downloaded Set CPU from the market.

This is also a sweet setup. I have the cpu set to 480/768 with the performance scaling. I have had zero problems or issues of any kind so far, but I will keep you posted. :D

24. doesgo

doesgo Well-Known Member

I'm a noob slowly learning and working toward this same setup (CM6) on my Sprint Hero 2.1, but I'm hesitant to do anything prior to a backup and I'm having trouble with that. I've done a soft root with UA and thought at that point I could use Titanium Backup, but it says I need BusyBox. I got the BusyBox ap but it tells me to do a backup before installation, hence a vicious cycle.

Suggestions? Or am I overthinking this and there's a much simpler way to do a backup?

25. deedub

I would do a recovery boot, then do a Nandroid backup from there.