Rooted - what to do next.

Last Updated:

1. troutbeck27

troutbeck27 Member This Topic's Starter

OK I read through all the posts and maybe I am a simpleton, but I didn't find what I was looking for, so here it goes.

I have rooted my D2, installed wireless tether, used the free version of Titanium Backup and went through and selected very thing listed (Is this overkill?, and should I upgrade to paid version?).

I have also went in through the ABD and my phone's serial number is listed in there (not sure if I needed to mention that or not).

I am NOT going to get into installing different ROMs yet as I need to educated myself of backing up this and so forth, first.

What are other MUST HAVE apps/programs that I need or others would recommend?

Thanks,

Troutbeck27

Advertisement
  2. JDunc

JDunc Well-Known Member

I would upgrade to paid version of Titanium for starters. I believe SetCPU is a very nice app to underclock your CPU for instances that it is needed. Flashing ROMs is pretty simple just follow instructions and make sure to backup.

3. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

4. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Play around - search "root" in the Market and poke around the root apps, there are alot.
    Learn how to back up and recover - this is the most important IMHO.
    The first time, back up, then remove some icons, then recover, and see if the icons come back. Success

The ROMs right now, IMHO are not where they will be in 3 months, and to me, not worth it as blur doesn't bother me or slow me down.

SetCPU - T BackUp - CachMate - ROM Manager - Bootstrap

5. troutbeck27

Thanks for the comments recommendations. If I did a batch backup using Titanium is this all I would need in order to "restore" my phone in a worse case scenario?

Like I said it is pretty much stock with the exception of being rooted and downloading wireless tether. I also have some pretty common download apps Launcherpro plus, handcent, etc., but I know I can get my registration/codes back for those through the developer.

I am a little overwhelmed at the moment with all the backup using bookstrap, rom manager, root explorer stuff (these are the next 3 apps I was going to go with).

Anyone have a how to for extreme dummies on 3 above, or at least a good tutorial?

Thanks,

TB

6. Super_Six_Two

You really should get bootstrap and do a backup that way. Its a full phone backup, not just apps. In my post above there is a link to a tutorial on how to do it. If you have any questions, ask for help.

7. troutbeck27

Thanks SS2,

I checked that out definitely a must have. It looks like it is just a simple app and install/follow instructions is that right?

Also found the bootstrap in the market for D2, so I am assuming that is the one I need.

8. Super_Six_Two

It is easy, the first time I did it I had no clue, just followed the guide and it was simple.

yes, that is the right app.

9. troutbeck27

OK maybe i am doing something wrong here. I downloaded and installed the program hit bootstrap recovery and it said success. Then I bootstrap recovery and all it did was reboot, the other screen where I am supposed to select an option never showed up.

any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

10. Super_Six_Two

Try it again... doesn't always work the first time. Other wise there is another way to get into recovery...

Turn D2 off
    Start booting D2
    Pull the battery when the boot animation appears (after M logo goes away)
    Put battery back in
    Turn D2 on

11. troutbeck27

OK never mind, I had to disable lookout security first.

Any one using LO or is it wasted space/worthless?

Thanks.

12. troutbeck27

OK it looks like it worked. One thing raised my eyebrows before I rebooted.

There was a line that read.... no sd-ext found skipping backup of se-ext.

is that normal?

13. Super_Six_Two

Not sure...never paid enough attention to that, but it always has restored everything for me.

As far as lookout security, I think there has been one virus on the android platform ever.
    The only thing you really have to worry about are malicious apps.