• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted with S-ON? Missing something?

I posted in the 'Leaker achieves root' thread that I managed root access last night. I was running Leak 3 with hboot 1.49

Ok, maybe I don't have full root? Or am I missing something?

I have access to the phones system using adb shell with SU rights. I have the SU app on the phone with the standard sense UI, and I have hboot 1.49.0000 S-ON. How can I have S-ON while having SU access with the # prompt in shell? And I have full access to the RA-eris-v1.6.2 recovery screen.

I'm running a 16 gig Polaroid chip, with a 1 gig partition

I haven't been able to boot into any other rom. EvilEris 3.0 boots, hits a black screen (backlit) and stops.

Aloysius boots to the verizon screen then goes back to the HTC screen and loops on the HTC screen. My Nand backup of the stock UI works fine tho.

A different problem, since flashing RUU to achieve root, I've been unble to access Market at all.

Where do I go from here?

With the RUU reinstall, at least market is back. Now for the rooting process all over again.

NAA_Silent, I saw in the other thread that you did install Amon_RA's recovery image. From there, you should be able to flash any custom ROM.

Make sure you do all of the requisite wipes, etc. before installing a custom ROM--perhaps this explains some of the issues that you were having.

Upvote 0
I did do all of the wipes, and followed the instuctions in the ROM threads. I think I may have corrupted the last RUU that I installed. I think I may have pulled the battery thinking the install had crashed originally. I thought it crashed this time, but I waited a bit longer and it went through. That may have caused the glitch with the market, and possibly screwed up the root process.

Formatting the stock eris 8 gig chip now.

Upvote 0
I did do all of the wipes, and followed the instuctions in the ROM threads. I think I may have corrupted the last RUU that I installed. I think I may have pulled the battery thinking the install had crashed originally. I thought it crashed this time, but I waited a bit longer and it went through. That may have caused the glitch with the market, and possibly screwed up the root process.

Formatting the stock eris 8 gig chip now.

Good to know. Congrats again and I hope you are able to easily repeat the process. :)

Upvote 0
Damn... Still 1.49 S-ON, even with Amon ra recovery installed. Still can't install any roms.

I'm not totally conversant with the leak root method, but I don't think your HBOOT (or S-ON setting) will change. The whole exercise is to get you to be able to install the custom recovery (which enables you to flash a custom ROM of your choice).

So, exactly what is going wrong when installing a custom ROM?

Upvote 0
I'm not totally conversant with the leak root method, but I don't think your HBOOT will change. The whole exercise is to get you to be able to install the custom recovery (which enables you to flash a custom ROM of your choice).

So, exactly what is going wrong when installing a custom ROM?

The roms freezes or loops when the phone tries to boot into them. I've let the phone sit for extended periods. How long does it take a custom rom to boot? Perhaps I'm not patient enough with the reboot. I'll rey once more. I dont really want to have to re-root yet again.

Upvote 0
The roms freezes or loops when the phone tries to boot into them. I've let the phone sit for extended periods. How long does it take a custom rom to boot? Perhaps I'm not patient enough with the reboot. I'll rey once more. I dont really want to have to re-root yet again.

Very puzzling...:thinking: Have you tried a different ROM? (maybe the custom ROM you downloaded was corrupted (check MD5 sums)). Perhaps something pretty close to stock like Ivan's Eris Official 1.0?

Upvote 0
I've tried EvilEris 3.0 and Aloysius so far. I've had the same results with both. Aloysius is currently flashing the HTC boot screen about every 15 seconds. It's been doing that for the last 15 minutes or so.

NAA_Silent, try booting without your /sdcard (i.e., pull it out)...I read on another totally un-related forum that a corrupted /sdcard sometimes causes this...worth a shot? (especially considering the leak root process does involve monkeying a lot with the /sdcard)...

Upvote 0
Pulled the card and booted. It's doing the same thing. Flashing the HTC screen about every 15 seconds. I'm downloading grdlocks rom, and I'll push it to the phone using adb in recovery mode then flash it to see if it will work. I'm thinking I'm missing a fundamental step somewhere that changes the Hboot from S-ON to S-OFF but I have no idea what.

Upvote 0
Ok, looks like I got somewhere, I managed to install the grdlock beta rom! Now to reinstall my programs and such. Not sure why the other roms wouldn't install tho. They all came from the same source (all things root thread)

Glad to hear this...(I was pulling for you, man!) :)

Like the great erisuser1 always says: verify the MD5 sums...chances are you got an incomplete ROM or two. You can always go back and verify what you did download with what the published MD5sums are for those ROMs--that should tell you if the files were goobered (and give you a little peace-of-mind that it wasn't you :D).

Upvote 0
Ok, looks like I got somewhere, I managed to install the grdlock beta rom! Now to reinstall my programs and such. Not sure why the other roms wouldn't install tho. They all came from the same source (all things root thread)

Looks like you crossposted to XDA... and that someone responded over there with a pretty good answer.

The new rooting method for leakers does not replace the bootloader, so you could have saved yourself some effort - it looks like your troubles came from not doing a wipe before you installed the new ROM. (Sorry I didn't see your thread earlier)

eu1

Upvote 0
Yep. I figgured the folks over there might send me in the right direction too. I thought I'd cleared all the caches before installing Aloysius the second time. After I get grdlock rom up and running proper, I'll back it up and try Aloysius again. The track ball is screwy with the USB cable in, so I mighta missed one of the caches thinking I'd gotten it.

Upvote 0
Yep. I figgured the folks over there might send me in the right direction too. I thought I'd cleared all the caches before installing Aloysius the second time. After I get grdlock rom up and running proper, I'll back it up and try Aloysius again. The track ball is screwy with the USB cable in, so I mighta missed one of the caches thinking I'd gotten it.

At least your are now really practiced with doing the leak-rooting method and can help other folks do theirs :D. Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones