• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted with S-ON? Missing something?

Yea, lots of experience with rooting now :p

One thing I noticed, after I rebooted the laptop, I didn't close down any of the auto loading programs like nortons 360, and I landed root the first try. Maybe the speed of the computer you're using to root with plays a part?

Well, you are certainly part of a very exclusive club (at the moment anyway): former 2.1 leakers that now have root (the hard way!) :eek:

Be sure to post this information (about Norton, etc.) back over to the main thread on XDA (it might be relevant)...if you haven't already that is...(that thread has grown pretty big and I haven't kept up with it...).

Upvote 0
I'll be sure to add to that thread. I tried the Aloysius rom again, and even with full wipes, it still looped on the boot screens. Wierd. I can't check the MD5 on the file since I don't know what it's suppose to be.

Yeah, I see they aren't listed in the XDA thread for that ROM, although there is a note that he accidentally deleted his change log :eek: which might explain that.

If you got the ROM from Grdlock's site, specifically Spencer Moore's ROMs: HTC Droid Eris ROM Site then the MD5sums are listed for each ROM, but I don't know which version you downloaded or if you got it from there.

Its a good warm-and-fuzzy piece of knowledge to have... More that one person has had trouble with corrupted ROM or from downloading the wrong one (theUnlockr.com had a 2.1 leak linked as a purported base root ROM for a while (erisuser1 caught that one) and they never owned-up to it)--surely, several folks tried to root and actually leaked instead. :eek:

Upvote 0
Aloysius 12 is up and running! It apears that the files I have are corrupted, and that was the source of all my problems. I'm a happy camper now :D

Excellent.

There's only one thing which is odd about this story; I don't think there is a way to successfully install a corrupted ROM. (I'll have to double-check that to be 100% sure).

If you unzip any given ROM, you will see a META-INF folder, and it contains some strange files, e.g. ./META-INF/MANIFEST.MF.

This manifest file has a SHA-1 checksum for every other file in the .zip package, and part of the job of the installer is to verify that those checksums are correct for every file unpacked, and that (moreover) there are no other files present. These checksums are created when the dev "signs" the package. (Everybody on XDA seems to use exactly the same private/public key pair) I'm pretty sure I have tried installing (with Amon_RA recovery) a zip file with no manifest present, and of course, it refused.

So, if that is indeed correct - it doesn't seem possible for an Amon_RA ROM install to go forward to a successful completion with a corrupted file.

The only thing I can think of that would cause actual corruption is a low battery voltage during flashing (I always charge to 100% before I flash anything for that reason - I am paranoid about it.).

Well, anyway - you got through your hurdles. Congrats.

eu1

Upvote 0
I can't really say for sure if the files are corrupted or not. It's mainly an assumption on my part since they will never fully load. I don't think it's a voltage issue since I've been tethered and charging 90% of the time I've been trying this stuff. If you have access to the md5's for the following, we can verify that the files I have are either good, or bad. I'll have to post them in the next post since they are on the laptop.

Upvote 0
I'm already running Aloysius2.0v12 with Nand backup. everythings running nice and smooth so far. I don't understand why I should install something different?

You are fine. That's an excellent ROM.

You might need to get APN Backup & Restore from the market, and restore that set of APNs with the default verizon set in it (I seem to remember a zip file named "Ivans_APN.zip" something similar to that - search XDA for it)

Oh, yeah, ringtones too. I took a different route, but I think there are some ringtones in Spencer_Moore's folder on Grdlock's site. (audio.zip?)

eu1

Edit: Here is the link to the XDA post with the APN .xml file (in a zip) - you unzip that one and put it on your SD card, and then point at that .xml file using APN Backup & Restore - this will allow MMS to work on that ROM.

Upvote 0
AloysiusHeroSnowUpdate-signed - 04562ae0488d9ca7143e5d7503352238

EvilEris3.0 - c1db91d4e247cab6335c566694bd96cf

if those prove to be non corrupt, then I don't know why they wouln't load.

Aloysius2.0v12 is currently installed and running

Dunno either - the thing is, if the flashing process from the SD card failed in Amon_RA, it would have produced a noticeable error message right on the screen. Sort of a mystery why they would bootloop if the /data partition was wiped.

BTW - being the extra-careful (*cough* paranoid *cough*) person that I am, I actually check the md5sum not only after I download it to the PC, but also using "md5sum" from the (adb) command line within Amon_RA - that way I can be sure that the copy the phone will be using was successfully transferred to the SD card. Some beginning users had problems right at that step because they were not properly dismounting the SD card from the PC, resulting in short/corrupted ROM files on the SD card.

eu1

Upvote 0
A lot of good info erisuser1, I appreciate it, thanks! I think I know now why EvilEris 3.0 didn't go. First time, I didn't do the data wipe, and 2nd time I tried, I didn't wait long enough. I thought it had crashed out, when in fact it had not finished. I perservered, tried again, and managed to get Evil Eris 3.0 in and running so I could check things out.

After playing around with EE3.0 awhile, I decided to go back to Aloysius. Nand to the rescue! (I actually planed it that way) To many UI force closes with EE3.0 for me, and I kinda like having a button to press to phone someone.

I still can't figgure out why AloysiusHeroSnowUpdate didn't go tho. I waited over 20 minutes on that one for it to finish, and it never did.

Now to go look into those APNs... I love a challenge :D

Upvote 0
A lot of good info erisuser1, I appreciate it, thanks! I think I know now why EvilEris 3.0 didn't go. First time, I didn't do the data wipe, and 2nd time I tried, I didn't wait long enough. I thought it had crashed out, when in fact it had not finished. I perservered, tried again, and managed to get Evil Eris 3.0 in and running so I could check things out.

After playing around with EE3.0 awhile, I decided to go back to Aloysius. Nand to the rescue! (I actually planed it that way) To many UI force closes with EE3.0 for me, and I kinda like having a button to press to phone someone.

I still can't figgure out why AloysiusHeroSnowUpdate didn't go tho. I waited over 20 minutes on that one for it to finish, and it never did.

Now to go look into those APNs... I love a challenge :D

I've used EE3.0, and it seemed rock solid. Still seems like there's something else going on we just haven't keyed into.

The APN thing for Aloysius V12 is pretty straightforward - just put the .xml file (extracted from the zip in the post I gave you a link to)on to your SD card, install "APN Backup & Restore" from the market, and do a restore of that .xml from within APN Backup & Restore

good luck

Upvote 0
Straight forward as you described, and long since done :D Now I'm looking for my next root addicted patch. Just installed the add remover.

From the 15 minutes or so that I played with EE3.0, I found I like Aloysius better. A matter of personal opinion I'm sure. My opinion (for what it's worth) shows Aloysius to be a more solid user interface. I'm sure EE3.0 is great even though it has a few the rough edges IMO (I'm in no way knocking ANY rom, hell, I can't write em!). Once I figgure out how to run app2sd under Aloysius, I'll be set :D

Upvote 0
Straight forward as you described, and long since done :D Now I'm looking for my next root addicted patch. Just installed the add remover.

From the 15 minutes or so that I played with EE3.0, I found I like Aloysius better. A matter of personal opinion I'm sure. My opinion (for what it's worth) shows Aloysius to be a more solid user interface. I'm sure EE3.0 is great even though it has a few the rough edges IMO (I'm in no way knocking ANY rom, hell, I can't write em!). Once I figgure out how to run app2sd under Aloysius, I'll be set :D

I recommend running a new ROM for at least a whole day or 2. You have to give them time to settle in and sync with everything. Also, rebooting once or twice after setup is a MUST. Just a small tip...

Upvote 0
AloysiusHeroSnowUpdate-signed - 04562ae0488d9ca7143e5d7503352238

EvilEris3.0 - c1db91d4e247cab6335c566694bd96cf

if those prove to be non corrupt, then I don't know why they wouln't load.

Aloysius2.0v12 is currently installed and running

the reasons aloysius didn't boot for you the first time is because you downloaded the theme that goes with it. That was a flashable update not a complete rom :). I see you got v12 up and running, that's a full rom. now try flashing the purehero update on the home page and you will have a very awesome taskbar :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info guys. I knew there had to be a reason for my failures buried in there somewhere. I'm new to this whole rooting thing as you can probably tell. I'm learning fast tho, and I like to know the "why" when things don't work. So far I'm digging Aloysius right out of the box.

Between knowing now why things didn't work, and what I've learned from XDA and here, I have the confidence to try the other Roms out to see if I can find the one that suits my needs the best.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones