• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted Xperia X8: removed stock apps but still shows low space

Mickets

Jul 25, 2011
Brazil
Hello all,

Today I rooted my XPeria X8, Android 2.1. The reason for me to root it was/is to remove some stock apps, so I can get more space on the device.

The apps I want to get rid of:

• Wisepilot
  • RoadSync
  • Facebook
  • Prince of Persia
  • Crazy Penguin
  • Tower Block
  • (some other games I can't recall)

First I froze the apps, just to make sure the phone would work OK.

Then I unfroze them and made backups of them.

And then with ANTek Explorer I browsed to the /system/apps folder, and deleted the APK files.

But the phone still shows the same amount of free space as before, and still issues the low space warning.

I searched the phone file structure for the APKs, and all I found are the backups on the SDCard.

Re-booted the phone, and still low space warning and same amount of free space as before.

So, if I deleted the APKs from the system folder, why don't I get more free space?

Thanks for any advice.

OK, I finally found the solution myself. The problem was that the dalvik-cache had to be emptied. The directory is under \data\dalvik-cache. And no need to find and erase just the files related to the apps that have been un-installed (could be a bit cumbersome looking for each one): all cache can be erased and it will be rebuilt when the phone is rebooted. It will take longer to reboot, though, but just the first time.

Upvote 0
Hello all,

Today I rooted my XPeria X8, Android 2.1. The reason for me to root it was/is to remove some stock apps, so I can get more space on the device.

The apps I want to get rid of:

• Wisepilot
  • RoadSync
  • Facebook
  • Prince of Persia
  • Crazy Penguin
  • Tower Block
  • (some other games I can't recall)

Hi, I just to ask, Are you using "LINK2SD" App to transfer applications/file from phone memory to SD? Because I'm planning to root my X8 v2.1 then install "LINK2SD".

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Great!!! thanks so much!

By the way, which is BETTER, "Root & Intall Link2sd" or "upgrading v2.1 to v2.2/2.3?"

because I've read a lot of negative feedback after upgrading v2.1 to v2.2/v2.3.

:thinking:

if you ask me, i'll stick to root&install coz its easy.. Upgrading to 2.2 or 2.3 is okay, but remember that the 2.2&2.3 are NOT official update for X8 so there might be problems.. i prefer sticking to original stuff, less hassle and less problems..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones