• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hi Bearring1,

To 'root' is to gain root privileges to the phones operating system. The root user has write access to all the system files that you cannot modify as a normal user.

The benefits being that you are free to modify the operating system files in any way you want and are able to run apps that require root privileges such as some back-up apps.

Disclaimer: Rooting will void your warranty.

Upvote 0
Is it rooting or unlocking the bootloader that voids the warranty. I've been trying to get an answer as I would like to root the device to get wifi tether. But I don't want to run a custom ROM so I don't need to unlock the bootloader. My understanding is that a rooted device can be restored with no trace of the rooting, while an unlocked bootloader can't be re-locked thus leaving the evidence that voids the warranty.

Upvote 0
Is it rooting or unlocking the bootloader that voids the warranty. I've been trying to get an answer as I would like to root the device to get wifi tether. But I don't want to run a custom ROM so I don't need to unlock the bootloader. My understanding is that a rooted device can be restored with no trace of the rooting, while an unlocked bootloader can't be re-locked thus leaving the evidence that voids the warranty.

I guess it all depends on the method you use but tbh I've never heard of someone being refused support due to rooting/installing a custom ROM or recovery partition.

I used the Flashrec app to install my custom recovery partition which also gives you the option to create a back of the original one so I can do a Nandroid restore (to restore the stock ROM) and then use Flashrec to restore the original recovery partition putting the phone completely back to stock. If for some reason I cannot access the phone to do the restore then I think the manufacture would either replace the mainboard or just replace the whole phone anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones