Rooting 2.1 OTA still need to go SPR?

Last Updated:

1. ilmar72

ilmar72 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry for the noob like question. Ive been rooted for a while. I am going to root my friends phone.
    Its been a while since I first rooted and was wondering if there was a new way to get ROM Manager on 2.1 OTA
    IS there an easier way to get ROM Manager on the phone besides flashing the SBF file which gives you SPR recovery , then flashing a rooted ROM, then installing ROM Magager, then finally installing the ROM that you really wanted in the first place?

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

3. ilmar72

4. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

why not just download the rom you want first to the sdcard and add SPR and then flash the rom you really want. Rom Manager isn't the only way to get those roms on the phone

5. ilmar72

Correct. I however think its nice to have ROM Manager on your phone. Its just very convenient when you can download a ROM right from ROM manager. I also like other features such as to reboot into recovery right from ROM manager.

6. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

Another reason for using the methed Fab and OMJ have posted is that you will have the ability to backup all of your data prior to switching ROMS either using Titanium or MyBackup.

7. ilmar72

Hmm. never tired that. I used to use astro, but that wont restore apps on 2.2 Ill have to try titanium next time I flash.

8. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I made that zip largely so new rooters could save their apps with titanium and lose pretty minimal data cause it seems a lot are worred about losing data more than anything.

9. ilmar72

Oh! I misread previous posts here on this thread. Thats great that you made an update.zip that roots the 2.1 OTA. thats awsome! So just flash SBF with SPR do update and your rooted. Thats easier!

10. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

you got it thats all you have to do now.