rooting a contract 3 phone?

Last Updated:

1. Mister Wolf

Mister Wolf Member This Topic's Starter

hey guys!
    im new here and currently have a HTC Hero on a 3network contract.
    i was just wondering are contract phones rootable dude to the current rom being preinstalled with a 3widget that allows me to view my current usage etc.

if i root my phone will i be able to get this back or view my usage a different way such as just clicking the internet widget, would that show me my usage?

thanks guys!

Advertisement
  2. omidb1

omidb1 Active Member

I have a 3 HTC hero phone but I dont remember having that widget. I got so fed up with the lack of phone storage and how slow my phone was becoming as a result that I rooted it and am now running FroydVillain 1.6. My phone has improved so much, although I do slightly miss the HTC sense UI, overall it's way better. I can move my apps to the SD card, use 2.2 apps such as skype. I would recommend it.

3. adz63

adz63 Well-Known Member

yes you can root your phone . if you have 2.1 up and running its as simple as downloading universal androot and clicking root .. if it still has 1.5 its upgrade to 2.1 1st .... if by any chance the 3 widget dissapears its available on the market to add again or you can just set your browsers home page to the 3 account page ......

on 3 contract rooted lost my widget too but got it off the market

4. dino

dino Active Member

am on a contract 3 phone. lost the widget, but not bothered - you can get through my3 web interface. my3 never shows you data usage anyway which is what i really want! (use 3G watchdog instead)

biggest thing was losing local roaming on Orange. You'll know that 3's network doesn't have the greatest covereage and my hero no longer recognizes the orange network. It could very well be an radio ROM issue but as that isn't changed when you root, I can only think that modded ROMs aren't setup for that b/c it isn't that popular a feature. Elelinux includes Launcher Pro (7 homescreens) and the HTC IME keyboard which are the best features of Sense UI anyway. I can't even remember what else sense offered... oh yeah, a windshield wiper weather widget!

5. will65mcmanus

will65mcmanus Well-Known Member

im on 3 and rooted and mine roams all the time

6. dino

dino Active Member

really? i only mean local roaming - mine roams internationally just fine.

What ROM and radio ROM are you using?

thanks.

7. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Can you actually connect to orange by specifically picking it in the settings? When you set it up in the past, did you specifically tell it to connect to 3 or did you tell it to choose automatically?

I use a custom ROM with a different radio and my (T-Mobile) Hero roams to Orange automatically.

8. dino

dino Active Member

No, this is the weird thing - Orange doesn't even display as a potentially available network when I do a search. Other networks (O2, Tmob, Voda) show but not Orange. (and yes, have 'allow local roaming' box ticked)

hmmm... and i'm pretty sure i'm running the same ROM [Elelinux 2.21SE] as you since taking your advice on it in the first place!

Radio ROM is 63.18.55.06PU_6.35.15.14 which is what it had on it when i rooted the phone.

9. will65mcmanus

will65mcmanus Well-Known Member

im on the same radio....m8 have you turned roaming on

10. dino

dino Active Member

yep, data enabled, int'l roaming, local roaming all ticked.

works fine on 3. roams internationally fine. but just dont seem to have orange available as an option.

11. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I'm running the non-special edition of elelinux, so I don't think that's the problem. I am running a different radio though, although I don't have the link to it at the moment.