Rooting a Incredible wish me luck

Last Updated:

1. schtip8bit

schtip8bit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been telling myself that i would wait till about August to see if HTC would get 2.2 onto some of their phones IE Droid Incredible. Yet the other day they announced that Froyo would be on oh sometime before christmas.....well that is extremely vague so figured i would take the plunge and try rooting.

First please forgive the lack of knowledge on this subject, rather new to the smartphone scene/forums ect ect. So before i go diving in just wanted to get some clarification on a few things, being that i have been out of the loop on the most recent root methods for the incredible (i know it was rooted about a month ago woo!)

1. Is this the easiest method for rooting right now? YouTube - Droid Incredible Root in 10mins or is there something easier? (understand some people still having some problems or that all been fixed?)

2. I only have macs....and no boot camp.....so does that 10 minute guide method still apply or should i just go to a friends house and use a pc to root?

3. Backing up files before rooting, i have a few payed apps and was wondering how that worked? I imagine it just recognizes that its an account that has payed for the app previous and i can download it again for free or just put it in from a backup?

Now just hope i dont turn this phone into a heavy paper weight.

Thanks for any advise anyone can bring.

Advertisement
  2. snowkfh

snowkfh Member

1. As far as something easier, the short answer is maybe. unrevoked for Incredible is up, but they're basically in "please stand by" mode. This might be easier than the current method, but no insurance

2. don't ask me. I'm PC and still haven't been able to root either.

3. They are linked to your account, should be fine.

3. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member

Good Luck bud. I got mine last night. I tried those two methods and couldn't get them to work, I ended up doing the SD Card pull with the PDANET drivers instead of HTC Sync. I did use the video you posted.

I don't think it is possible with mac, so I would say head to your friends house. I also don't think you can brick your phone by rooting it, but you can by flashing it with roms.

Now I was using a Compaq C500 with 2gigs ram running Windows 7 Premium (not the best laptop). With the SD Card Pull (using stock 2gb card) the instructions say to wait 1-2 seconds after you hear the disconnect sound then pop it back in before the black screen. That didn't work for me because of the older laptop, so once I heard the sound, right at the end I popped it in. That was the first try after trying the 1-2 second one about 5 times.

Again good luck. Make sure you do the nand backup after you root.

4. AaronBBrown

AaronBBrown Well-Known Member

schtip8bit likes this.
  5. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad it's very possible. :)

I was unaware, but I would say no to the video then, it was on a Windows 7 Machine. But try it anyway, and let us know the results.

Why not just get a copy of Windows and bootcamp it?

Good Luck with it.

6. kc720

kc720 Member

if u get a hboot .77, then upgreade it to .79. that seems to help a lot with the rooting :)

7. schtip8bit

currently dont have any space free for bootcamp...though debating deleting a few things to make the space and give it a go, think i might feel a little doing it on a pc.

thanks for the advise =D

8. AaronBBrown

Why? There is really only a single step that is different between Mac and PC and it's only trivially different.

Code (Text):
    2. while [[ true ]]; do adb shell; done

9. elborak

elborak Well-Known Member

And that step is 100% useless. There's no reason to loop on the "adb shell" command, just try it once after the phone is done booting into recovery. It will either work (if adbd stayed up) or it won't; looping won't help.

10. AaronBBrown

As I recall, part of the exploit for root was based on very specific timing of getting into adb shell. Perhaps I'm wrong - I did use that code when I rooted my own Incredible, and since I'll likely never have to do it ever again, I was content with "it worked."

11. elborak

elborak Well-Known Member

There is very specific timing involved, but it's 100% on the phone: getting the phone to slow down at exactly the right point so that adbd hasn't yet started when the start up script attempts to stop it. Nothing on the host side affects this.

12. schtip8bit

just used

unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.0

now i have SU but i dont see the wifi tether....and went to use titanium backup and it keeps saying my root failed.

version of my phone says 2.1 update1

am i missing something??

13. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

do you have the costume recovery menu?

14. schtip8bit

clockworkmod recovery?

15. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

its the custom recovery they give you if everything has worked right... are you sure it didnt fail?

16. schtip8bit

I have SU and i found the Wifi tether in a file on the video i posted....dont know if i was supposed to get it all through the revoked 3. Though i imagine i should of...but i can run the tether program and i have to give SU permissions for it....so i guess it worked......

guess next step is to figure out why this other program titanium backup keeps saying my root failed....

edit:

Error: Sorry, i could not acquire root privileges. This application will not work! please verify that your rom is rooted and includes busybox and try again.

Alright rom first...well thats for tomorrow

Edit II: Got titanium backup to work.....just feel a little silly....