Rooting a Orange hero UK

Last Updated:

1. punkmonkey1984

punkmonkey1984 Member This Topic's Starter

iv been looking about rooting and applying the new 2.1 rom to my hero, Iv read a few guides and videos on unlockr.com and over at xda, modaco, and here, dont seem to hard, but my question is, can it be done the same way as a unlocked normal gsm hero or is there a more complicated way to unlock the orange version, i cant seem to find a straight answer and dont want to brick it, i

So im kinda trying to gather info on the orange version any advice appreciated

Advertisement
  2. globalm

globalm Active Member

2.1 ROM not yet available and Orange version will lag behind HTC. RUU update will give you the ROM in the fullness of time.

If you want to be an early adopter, you will have to (probably) use the goldcard method to revert your Hero to an earlier version of the standard HTC ROM using RUU. Then you will need to root your phone, then install a good recovery image and the latest ROM with 2.1

3. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Not true. You can root with the Orange ROM intact. Just follow the procedure on unlockr.com

4. globalm

globalm Active Member

The use of the word 'probably' is intended to denote the fact that your success in one-click unlocking will depend on the ROM version you currently have. It may be necessary to revert to an earlier one. I had to.

5. punkmonkey1984

How do i do this if i cant root the device, or do i just run a official orange rom update but a earlyer version of it

6. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Take a look at the sticky thread Guide To Installing MoDaCo custom ROM at the top of the forum. That should get you started. If you have the original 1.76.xxx.x ROM you're laughing, as it's easily rootable out-of-the-box.

You won't find an "official Orange ROM update" that pre-dates 2.73.61.5 as this was the first.

7. punkmonkey1984

thanks all for the replys

So should i follow the guide from the unlockr.com this one i mean, How To: Root Your Sprint Hero in One Click! | The Unlockr

or would that not work as mine is a gsm handset,

i do have the 2.73.61.5 rom installed

8. Slug

I suggest following Quantumrand's excellent How-To.... as it lays out the procedure clearly and concisely. It's valid for any ROM updates that are packaged as update.zip files - no need to stick with the version referenced in the guide.

9. punkmonkey1984

Thank's for your help, the guide on this forum does seem easy, and i will give it a go over the weekend, just want to read a little and get comfortable with doing it, having a clear head on what to do etc,

quick question tho

in the guide

Step 4: Type into the text box, "/sdcard/cm-recovery.img" or whatever you renamed MoDaCo's recovery image to, and hit Flash.

Can i rename any rom update to /sdcard/cm-recovery.img, or type in what ever it is for example

lox_hero_us-ota-eng-beta1.zip

to apply any other rom thats not a modaco rom, im thinking i can, but just need someone to clear this up as im hoping to hop on to a 2.1 rom this weekend

10. Slug

Nope, this step is reflashing your handset's recovery image to allow ROM update(s). Steps 7/8 are the ones that deal with actually performing the ROM update.

11. punkmonkey1984

i think i get it all now, so what ever rom i download and want to try out i rename it to update.zip and can execute it from the bootloader, can i go back to the original rom, via nadroid back up or from the htc website here

ROM Upgrade for HTC Hero (Orange)

12. gaanrowl

gaanrowl Active Member

sorry but what is rooting??

13. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

'Root' is a linux term for the main administrator account which has full access to the operating system. Android in basically linux so 'rooting' is to gain root privileges (full access) to the Android O/S. Hope that helps.