• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting a sm-g900 from Verizon

Ek148

Lurker
Oct 4, 2016
Hi everyone! I've been living under a rock so I didn't even know what rooting was until very recently. But I'm very new at this and my phone is about 2 years old. How do I go about this? Here are my phone specs

1. Manufacturer - Samsung
2. Model - (SM-G900V)
3. Software version - (6.0.1)
4. Kernel version - 3.4.0
5. Build number - MMB29M.G900VVRU2DPF4

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi everyone! I've been living under a rock so I didn't even know what rooting was until very recently. But I'm very new at this and my phone is about 2 years old. How do I go about this? Here are my phone specs

1. Manufacturer - Samsung
2. Model - (SM-G900V)
3. Software version - (6.0.1)
4. Kernel version - 3.4.0
5. Build number - MMB29M.G900VVRU2DPF4

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Ek148!

I am afraid that the carrier minority variant, G900V, of the Galaxy S5 for Verizon, on Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1, is, at present, unrootable. Hopefully, a root exploit such as the one used on Lollipop, here, may be found in time. It is not possible to downgrade to Lollipop from Marshmallow to use that exploit. See, also, #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums Ek148!

I am afraid that the carrier minority variant, G900V, of the Galaxy S5 for Verizon, on Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1, is, at present, unrootable. Hopefully, a root exploit such as the one used on Lollipop, here, may be found in time. It is not possible to downgrade to Lollipop from Marshmallow to use that exploit. See, also, #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Awww shucks :(. There's no way to downgrade to a previous version that was rootable?

Upvote 0
Once you are on the super, mega, locked down, Verizon, Marshmallow bootloader... AFAIK, no. :(

How do I know if I really have "marshmallow" or not? It doesn't say marshmallow when I go to "about phone". Is all version 6.0.x marshmallow?

Also, what about this program? https://www.oneclickroot.com/

It said my device was eligible, but I didn't go through with it because I was scared :c

Upvote 0
How do I know if I really have "marshmallow" or not? It doesn't say marshmallow when I go to "about phone". Is all version 6.0.x marshmallow?

Also, what about this program? https://www.oneclickroot.com/

It said my device was eligible, but I didn't go through with it because I was scared :c

All Marshmallow releases are Android 6.*.*.

OneClick does not work on the G900V of Marshmallow.

Upvote 0
Incorrect, the marshmallow can be downgraded then rooted, the problem is you are stuck at 4.4.4 you lose root if you try and go to marshmallow. I have done it 3x on my phone, the problem is I want the marshmallow features and none of the root methods work on the 'mallow. Many of us are hoping that the next version of android is released on the S5 so we can have another chance to run it.

Upvote 0
**Follow EXACTLY of you WILL BRICK**

1. Download this https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24438995911970571 unzip it.
2. 2. Reboot to recovery (Power+Volume Up+Home Button) and wipe data from recovery, reboot to bootloader
3. Plug In your phone and open Odin located in the OK3_ROOT folder - Make sure phone is seen in Odin. It will say Id:Com and should be BLUE.
4. Click the AP button in the Odin Screen and locate and click on the G900VVRU2BPB1_G900VVZW2BPB1_G900VVRU2BPB1_HOME.tar .md5 this is the file that was unziped from the G900VVRU2BPB1_G900VVZW2BPB1_VZW.zip
5. Wait for Odin to VERIFY MD5. If it does not verify DO NOT USE.
6. Click START. Wait until complete.
7. Odin should say "PASS"
8. Phone SHOULD reboot now and begin update process to Android 5.0 and takes awhile.

At this point you can root the phone I used this to root ages ago, but wanted Marshmallow features so went back to stock and upgraded normally. http://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-galaxy-s5/general/root-method-og5-ok3-t3290370

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Singapore and China have a set that are/were locked, but there has been a bypass on those versions. I do not know the retailers of those models. I cant remember where I read the information but it was making a big scene at the time about it being defeated and possibly ported to the versions here. I think it was on the XDA forums or androidbypass before it was shutdown.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones