Rooting after official OTA

Last Updated:

1. sequre

sequre Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has root been achieved after the OFFICIAL OTA has been pushed? I assume the root process is different. From what I could see around the forums, some of you have root w/ froyo, but it looks like it was done with the RUU? I also read that the current unrevoked is not compatible. Is the process really that much different or is it like waiting for the Incredible to be rooted for the first time? I only ask because I've been pushing off rooting until Verizon pushes the update to me.

Advertisement
  2. jdkoreclipse

jdkoreclipse Well-Known Member

if we have S_OFF, then we can flash otas, flash a recovery.img, and then flash the payload-update from the original root method

3. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

you cannot at this time root the stock 2.2 unless you had "s-off" before upgrading. this goes for both RUU and OTA

there is a thread about downgrading stock 2.2 BACK to 2.1 which then can be rooted, s-off'd then re-upgraded over at XDA (looks pretty complicated to me)

4. redlegend

redlegend Active Member

it wasn't bad, i did it after flashing the RUU 2.2 and ended up with no sound from the internal speaker. i got back to stock 2.1 and within 20 minutes got the OTA notification, installing now

5. sequre

sequre Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm currently still running a stock 2.1 device. Is it recommended that i change the s-off before they push the update?

6. sambrose123

sambrose123 New Member

JD, have some questions about applying the manual froyo update to an already Rooted phone. I have not used any unrevoked methods....only used the popular 10 minute tutorial video that first came out for rooting...and it worked fine.

So with the manual update of Froyo, do I need to first Un-root my phone, then apply the froyo update? I like the tethering on my root and would like to keep that through the new upgrade...just not sure how?

Also, is there any difference between the Cyanomod (sp?) and Froyo 2.2?

A little lost here. Any help appreciated.

7. hakoreh

hakoreh Well-Known Member

do you have the link?