Root Rooting (almost) out of the box Desire updated to 2.2?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hcgl, Aug 21, 2010.

1. hcgl

hcgl New Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Hello, i would like to know how to root and htc desire, updated to 2.2 by pressing update on the desire. Please bare with me and assist me in this quest :) I have done a bit of searching and i want to know if "Universal AndRoot" will root my desire. I really don't want a custom rom, but i am not sure if that is crucial to rooting?

Advertisement
  2. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Level Designer
    UK,Cambridge
    Is your phone with a provider then? You only need to root to get 2.2 if it is branded by the network so Orange,3,02 etc. Most of them promise that 2.2 will be available in a few weeks.

3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    I think the OP has updated to 2.2 already and wants to know if he can now root.

4. hcgl

hcgl New Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Exactly

5. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Level Designer
    UK,Cambridge
    Oh right sorry, it was probably too close to my bedtime when I replied :p

As far as I know you cannot root on 2.2, you are probably best of checking XDA Developers. They tend to be a bit more up on how to root, if it can be done and the ROMs. I am guessing you would have to downgrade your Bootloader but I am not sure if the ROM itself makes it currently impossible to root.

I did read an Unrevoked twitter saying they where working on rooting 2.2 for HTC Desire but they are doing Evo first I think.

6. ajanu

ajanu Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    I belive you need to downgrade HBOOT 0.92 to 0.80. These threads shoudl help, one on rooting in general, the 2nd on the downgrade.

[TUT]Complete upgrading guide(root, unroot, flashing ROM & updates) - xda-developers

[HOW-TO] downgrade HBOOT 0.92 to 0.80 again - xda-developers

Now that you are on stock 2.2, the task is harder. You might want to find out what screen you have, I have used some stuff for an AMOLED on my SLCD and got nothing but black. I belive all methods work if you have AMOLED, and only a newish phone will have SLCD.

7. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    argh, that whole screen business has made the rooting community more split to be honest.. don't particularly understand why the change in screen makes things harder..

then again, i guess im one of the lucky people with an AMOLED :p

8. ajanu

ajanu Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    The screen issue is just a driver problem, and the drivers are available. Hopefully soon the methods will update to work with either screen, every day more of us have the SLCD. What I have read makes me happy to have an SLCD, but I've never had it beside an AMOLED to compare.

9. hcgl

hcgl New Member

Aug 20, 2010
    It says amoled on my box, but i got it some time after the SLCD announcement. So i guess i have amoled. So all i need to do is downgrade my hboot and than root the normal way ? (;

10. ajanu

ajanu Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    That's the theory yes. If your box says AMOLED you probably do have one. I would assume you could call HTC with your serial # and ask if you want to be double sure.

Once you downgrade your into a rootable version you should be ok. Never done it so I can't tell you for sure.

Tags: