Rooting (almost) out of the box Desire updated to 2.2?

Last Updated:

1. hcgl

hcgl New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, i would like to know how to root and htc desire, updated to 2.2 by pressing update on the desire. Please bare with me and assist me in this quest :) I have done a bit of searching and i want to know if "Universal AndRoot" will root my desire. I really don't want a custom rom, but i am not sure if that is crucial to rooting?

Advertisement
  2. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

Is your phone with a provider then? You only need to root to get 2.2 if it is branded by the network so Orange,3,02 etc. Most of them promise that 2.2 will be available in a few weeks.

3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I think the OP has updated to 2.2 already and wants to know if he can now root.

4. hcgl

Exactly

5. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

Oh right sorry, it was probably too close to my bedtime when I replied :p

As far as I know you cannot root on 2.2, you are probably best of checking XDA Developers. They tend to be a bit more up on how to root, if it can be done and the ROMs. I am guessing you would have to downgrade your Bootloader but I am not sure if the ROM itself makes it currently impossible to root.

I did read an Unrevoked twitter saying they where working on rooting 2.2 for HTC Desire but they are doing Evo first I think.

6. ajanu

ajanu Well-Known Member

I belive you need to downgrade HBOOT 0.92 to 0.80. These threads shoudl help, one on rooting in general, the 2nd on the downgrade.

[TUT]Complete upgrading guide(root, unroot, flashing ROM & updates) - xda-developers

[HOW-TO] downgrade HBOOT 0.92 to 0.80 again - xda-developers

Now that you are on stock 2.2, the task is harder. You might want to find out what screen you have, I have used some stuff for an AMOLED on my SLCD and got nothing but black. I belive all methods work if you have AMOLED, and only a newish phone will have SLCD.

7. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

argh, that whole screen business has made the rooting community more split to be honest.. don't particularly understand why the change in screen makes things harder..

then again, i guess im one of the lucky people with an AMOLED :p

8. ajanu

ajanu Well-Known Member

The screen issue is just a driver problem, and the drivers are available. Hopefully soon the methods will update to work with either screen, every day more of us have the SLCD. What I have read makes me happy to have an SLCD, but I've never had it beside an AMOLED to compare.

9. hcgl

It says amoled on my box, but i got it some time after the SLCD announcement. So i guess i have amoled. So all i need to do is downgrade my hboot and than root the normal way ? (;

10. ajanu

ajanu Well-Known Member

That's the theory yes. If your box says AMOLED you probably do have one. I would assume you could call HTC with your serial # and ask if you want to be double sure.

Once you downgrade your into a rootable version you should be ok. Never done it so I can't tell you for sure.