Rooting an ATT N1 to load the pre-release froyo........

Last Updated:

1. CirkDroid

CirkDroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've read that it breaks video playback.......

Playing video is reason #3 why I bought the phone. (I download a tv show to the phone and watch it on my lunch break at work when I don't feel like reading a book)

Does this issue still exist? Are there any others?

Curious, because I could really use the better camera that froyo is supposedly bringing, the interface of the camera now is just bad. Not to mention highmem support would be nice.

PS: If bluetooth does not work with this method, I'm also not interested.

Advertisement
  2. qcom

qcom Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, my specs are as follows:

Hardware: Nexus One
    Carrier: Unlocked ATT (with 3G)
    OS Version: 2.1 (Eclair)

Goal: I would like to update to the unofficial build of Froyo (Android 2.2) if possible, I don't know if these unofficial builds are for T-Mobile versions only.

Also, how's the overall experience, I've heard pretty much only positive things so far..

Thanks!

3. ragingyeti

ragingyeti Well-Known Member

Don't know about bluetooth, but downloading a video and watching it later works just fine. I did notice 3G speeds are slowed (maybe due to a t mobile radio kernel) so steaming the video might be rough.

They are officially for t mobile only(although no official update had been releases yet, only leaks) , although it is possible to put it on your ATT phone, I did. I love it so far, but am excited for the real version because the radio will be optimized for ATT 3G radio bands.

4. qcom

qcom Well-Known Member

OK, so they're "supposed" to be T-Mobile, alright.

Do you have a link to a clear guide?

5. CirkDroid

I'm in the middle of using this guide at the moment:

EPE54B (new N1- AT&T) -> FRF50 -> FRF83 & beyond (hopefully) in 20 minutes - xda-developers

I just loaded frf50, and am about to start frf83.

I had to switch sd cards, I think my original one is broken.

Seems to have worked. I'll play with my phone for a while and come back here screaming if something is broken.

I've tested everything I can think of.
    maps, phone, messaging, market, bluetooth, gps, snes roms using a wiimote classic controller, pictures, galary, music, widgets, launcher pro, video, everything works perfectly.

<edit> Have been using frf83 for 18 hours now, and yeah, 2 of them were re-downloading everything and getting the phone set back up........then quite a bit of time just enjoying the awesomeness of stuff I couldn't do before.

I've only had my N1 for 2 months, it's my first Android phone, and while I've done some tinkering with motorola razr's and rokr's in the past, I'm pretty much a phone neophyte.

So far EVERYTHING has worked. Another person here has posted a youtube video of his unlocked ATT phone running frf83, which has the exact same information in the about phone section, so I'm very convinced it's a "real" update. That's not to say it won't get altered later, but you will still be able to receive future OTA updates with those instructions.

Have no fears, the instructions are solid. Download everything before you start, and go to town.

Some recommendations for when you're running FRF83....get titanium backup, busybox, and clockwork mod. Set your phone up the way you like with all your apps, and make a backup. Put that on your computer or something, you've got a way to reset your phone back to your personalized settings in less than 3 minutes.

6. CirkDroid

Hah! I found something in frf83 I don't like!

Using the volume switch on the far left, you lose a control option with the vibrate mode.

You can't select a vibrate only mode and also be able to select a completely silent, no vibration mode without also going into the settings of the phone.

Kinda annoying.

Oh well.